Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Re: *** Official Arbitrage Posting Thread : 11/06 - 11/12 ***

Your comment is disgraceful given that you are a moderator. He and other people started flinging around insults, calling me a "dick" and a "bastard" when I did nothing but give advice, and you claim I'm the one at fault because he's a "valuable contributor" and I'm "not much of a contributor." Way to be an impartial moderator!

The funniest part is that I've been posting here since 1999, long before the "sports betting" board was even a twinkle in Mason Malmuth's eye.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:49 AM

Excuse me? I posted some helpful information and I've been called a "bastard" and a "dick" for doing so, and you're accusing me of making an ad hominem attack? You can't be serious!

It's no concern of mine if somebody calls me names, but when the masses and even a moderator jump on me because somebody else called me names, you're all out of line. Then again, I expect nothing less from a message board that banned Abdul Jalib and Paul Phillips.

Your implication that "picks" are the most valuable thing one could post is completely amateurish, as is your insinuation that I've posted nothing of value. I've posted plenty of things about mathematical conversions, correlations, and that sort of thing, which surely goes over most people's heads because they don't care about that, they just want to know who's going to win the game, but that doesn't mean those posts lack value.

Finally, when have I ever claimed to be a "big pro bettor" or even someone who focuses on arbitrage betting?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 AM

VIP deals multiple sets of lines and has very low limits on certain things. My limit on a lot of things is only $300, and on some Breeders Cup future I wanted to bet, my limit was a whopping $4.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The funniest part is that I've been posting here since 1999, long before the "sports betting" board was even a twinkle in Mason Malmuth's eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

But do you still eat beets? (I thought you were more of an RGPer in the olden days, although I do remember you here too.)

Lori
Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 AM

I posted here and to RGP under my real name until about 2001 or 2002, and when the software was changed requiring that you re-register, I re-registered as "beetman." I figured it wasn't a good idea to post on the internet under my real name if I was going to be involved in non-poker forms of advantage gambling.

I tended to post to RGP more often because I never cared for Mason Malmuth's censorship policies. The funniest thing I remember from this board is that in the space of one week, Sklansky listed me as one of the "10 best posters to this site" and Malmuth told me I'd go broke if I continually followed Abdul Jalib's advice. Well, I'm not broke yet.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:38 AM

beetman,

You never said you were a big pro bettor. But if you were a winning one who'd be doing it for close to a decade and doing it as well as you claim to be... You either started at ultra small stakes or just aren't winning very much.

I'm not accusing you of making ad hominem attacks. You are making them. Its factual. Theres really no debate in here. Let me give an example "You are a bitch" Thats an ad hominem attack. "You are at the bottom of the food chain. Affliates are one step above touts. I rock. You blow." is also an ad hominem attack. Maybe a basic class in rhetoric or logic would assist in creating clear cogent arguments.

On the topic of your posts. Your last 25 have nothing of value including the one post where you claim to "help" on spread to ML conversion. It said +164=+3/+108>+150=+3/-110. I'll remember to bet the ML if I see it over 163 and the line for the spread is +108. Thanks for that bit of information. The 25 before that provide answers to various questions that asking a CS rep, reading the FAQ or wikipedia provide.

I think picks with actual discussion would beat anything you have provided so far. Heck, anything of really any value would beat this out.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 AM

There has been a lot of hatred on these boards lately? Why so much hatred guys?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:09 AM

I never said I've been betting sports for a decade. I've been betting sports seriously for a little under 4 years. Nor did I ever make any statements touting my sports betting prowess. I do consider myself an excellent baseball handicapper but I don't believe that topic even came up. In other areas I am largely still learning.

You are flat out lying about me making ad hominem attacks. I didn't call anybody a bitch, and the post about "bottom of the food chain" was a REPONSE to a post where someone else called me a dick! In your world I suppose the person defending himself against insults is at fault when you like the former person and don't like the latter person. It warms my heart to see so much impartiality in this thread!

You're a complete amateur if you read my last 50 posts and didn't think I provided anything of value. Among other things, I recall posting that NFL home dogs perform better on the ML than away dogs, that Denver and the under were correlated in last Sunday's game (btw, that little tidbit alone has been a significant portion of my NFL profits over the last few years and partially saved an otherwise dreadful 2005 season), and I've posted plenty of math stuff, etc. Also, simple math would dictate that if +164 was reasonably similar to +3 +108, that +151 is reaosnably similar to +3 +100, etc. If these conversions are "so obvious" why are there so many threads asking "which middle is best?" "how much is this half point worth" etc., and for that matter, why do so many people suggest using the Pinnacle pull down menu in the arbitrage threads?

Obviously the content I posted all went right over your head, but that doesn't mean it didn't have any value. Also, I certainly never said +150 was the same as +3 -110 on a home dog in the NFL. These things vary based on the total and some other factors but +150 is certainly superior in all situations.

I suggest you try actually reading posts instead of just making stuff up.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:30 AM

Pwease. You silly goose.

Back to the topic at hand. So why are you sharing such wonderful information since it'll obviously hurt your profits?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your comment is disgraceful given that you are a moderator. He and other people started flinging around insults, calling me a "dick" and a "bastard" when I did nothing but give advice, and you claim I'm the one at fault because he's a "valuable contributor" and I'm "not much of a contributor." Way to be an impartial moderator!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're reading way to much in to my post. And I'll certainly defend it as anything but "disgraceful".

My first post in this thread, I said exactly the following:

[ QUOTE ]

Chill here, <u>everyone</u>.

Lets not derail what's so far been a pretty interesting discussion devolving in to personal attacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The underlined-for-emphasis EVERYONE was targeted at you, Homer, everyone. EVERYONE. Several people are out of line in this forum, yourself included.

I am not, and was not taking sides.

Secondly I come through and say:

[ QUOTE ]

Now this is the kind of stuff that can really piss me off... when some person who really isn't much of a contributor comes on and does something that threatens to run off a valuable contributor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not commenting here on the quality of your participation, much more the quantity.
Its not meant to degrade you in any way, its more of a comment on the quantity of your participation. You've got 250 posts in four years here, however stepping it up and averaging about 10-20 posts a month in Sports betting for the past three months.

You, as with anyone who follows the site's guidelines, are certainly a welcome participant in this forum.

But when you get in a ePenis fight with someone who provides a valuable service to the forum (running the picks contest), who very frequently participates in the forum and constantly is regarded as helpful by the measure of the forum's participants, the situation qualifies in my book as "some person who really isn't much of a contributor comes on and does something that threatens to run off a valuable contributor."

Maybe I shouldn't have said the exact phrase "who really isn't much of a contributor" but in my opinion its pretty clear if you stack up your contributions to this board and Homer's, one has the other beat in both volume, in helpfulness, and in service to the community.

Regardless its certainly something that really is one of the worst things about being involved with a board like this. People who are valuable resources to the community (the pros or the brilliant minds in the poker side, for example) are often just one personal attack away from stopping contributing. We lost Utah as a very valuable poster in Sports Betting because of the actions of one person who brings zero value to this forum, so we had a big net loss. Likewise, here, you and Homer get in to it with a stupid series of personal attacks from both sides, omg its so serious its teh interweb, and we've got people up in arms and interested in leaving.