Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Second barrel OK? How about a third?

Villain gives new meaning to the term “calling station” (43/9/0.4); he got most of his chips with two pretty amazing suck-outs in the last four or five hands (KK<98o, QQ<65o). I am playing pretty TAGGy (16/11/2), but I have no idea if he’s paying attention or not.

UTG (3070 in chips)
UTG+1 (8380 in chips)
MP1 (12500 in chips)
MP2 (3870 in chips)
Hero (13500 in chips)
BU (5035 in chips)
SB (5555 in chips)
BB (8210 in chips)

Blinds are 100/200, Hero is in CO with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Two folds, MP1 calls 200, one fold, Hero raises 600 to 800, three folds, MP1 calls 400

Flop (1900): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP1 checks, Hero bets 1000, MP1 calls

Turn (3900) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP1 checks, Hero bets 2000, MP1 calls 2000

River (7900): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP1 checks, Hero???
Old 09-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Second barrel OK? How about a third?

Why are you trying to bluff a calling station... ?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I thought as well. *Maybe* you could think he knows he got lucky to get the chips that he has and wants to take a breather so he doesn't give it all back. But I can't imagine firing a third barrel here on the river. If he called when the first 2 hit he's going to call when the second 2 hit. Just check.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM

Check behind on turn against a calling station. I like the bet against a thinking TAG.

As played, check behind on the river. If he missed his OESD you still win with A high. I doubt he is folding much at this point.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I was just thinking almost the exact same thing Sherman. If he's calling with any part of the flop on the turn, he's calling that river bet too (with the 2nd 2). Now, if he's a calling station and will call with K high, then bet your A for value [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But, I think the check is best here and would expect to win maybe 2/5 times with it against this guy.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks all, for your helpful responses.

I actually wasn't trying to bluff; rather, he had shown such a willingness to play literally anything pre-flop (including calling 4X raises) that I viewed my bets more or less as value bets. In the event, I checked behind on the river, and he showed down A7. I was just wondering if I had lost value by failing to fire a third time, but I guess I'll be more careful next time.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering if I had lost value by failing to fire a third time, but I guess I'll be more careful next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given his hand I don't think you would have gotten a call out of him on the river anyway. Given your description of him, I have a hard time believing he was calling because "I think he's on overcards and my A might be good", I think it was more of "I have an A plus a gutshot, let's see if I can hit either one. If not I'll muck it."
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM

If you have the best hand on the river, it's going to be awfully hard for a level 1 player (which it sounds like he is) to pull of a bluff. Chances are he checks behind. OTOH, if he hit a piece of that flop, he's probably going to call, and I doubt you push all-in given the blind structure here and your utter confusion as to villain's propensity on the river. Easy check on river, easy check on turn as well.

Barry
Old 09-20-2007, 03:41 PM

I don't mind 3-barreling stone cold with AK on occasion, in fact I think it's a great play in the right spot against an opponent you know is capable of folding the best hand. This is not the spot nor the opponent.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:57 PM

We bluff aggressive players and weak players. We do not bluff fish that cannot figure out our hand, and calling stations that dont believe us.

4Card