Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Urindanger=Durrr?

[ QUOTE ]
He never quits when he's ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he? By itself it doesn't seem a very good reason to me
Old 06-02-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He never quits when he's ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.poker1.com/absolutenm/tem...4&zoneid=4
Old 06-03-2007, 12:24 AM

good article
Old 06-03-2007, 02:56 AM

Yeah I've seen that article before, and I just don't agree.

A fortnight ago, Durr had $900,000 spread over four PLO tables. He had enough money. He'd won so much money it would make a significant difference to his bottom line, stopping him from being stuck for the year. Yeah, whatever, make your jokes, you can say "ban pls" etc, but in that situation I think he should stop playing.

Why play on - because he really has an edge at PLO over Patrick Antonius and David Benyamine? I don't think so. Because he's been running [censored]-hot and hopes it will continue? Well, you can keep betting on black, but after you've won ten times perhaps you ought to bank the win? You can't win every coinflip or worse indefinitely.

I think there just comes a point that there's so much money on the table that you should quit. Come back the next day, sit with $40k. Don't keep playing till you're tired or tilting and hand the money back. Banking a win is not a crime.

Similarly when he played Antonius, he was about $500k up but lost most of it back. Antonius rebought for $60k one last time and from that got up to $375k. Durr's edge over PA isn't so great he could go on winning forever. Quit while you can - you're $600k up? Great, so type "GG" into the chat, go party. Don't be a sucker and hand it back.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:09 AM

luckyjimm,
durrr should either not play in those games in the first place or continue playing regardless if he is up or down, unless he is tilting or something like that.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:18 AM

Sometimes you have so much money on the table you should leave the game. If you have say 20%+ of your roll in play, it's time to go. You've achieved your objective, so quit.

It's like climbing Everest - sure, it's all one climb. But that doesn't mean you do it all in a day. You do as much as you can in one day, then rest and start again refreshed the next day.

If you can't bank a win, you're just a degenerate - what's the point in playing if you always hand it back? David Benyamine has this problem even more than Durr, fwiw.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:21 AM

jim,

so you dont actually PLAY poker, you just sweat? huh. no kidding.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:23 AM

if u have 20% of your roll on the table, next stop bustoville
Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He never quits when he's ahead -

[/ QUOTE ]

While there are certainly some sessions that (result-wise) would indicate that he should do so, he's also had two +500k HU PLO sessions (one on FTP, one on prima), where he busted Gus Hansen's and (iirc) Underground's accounts.

So I don't think that playing huge sessions when up can be looked at as being inherently -EV for durrrr.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:11 AM

Jim,

If Durr remains properly rolled for the games he's playing he should never sit out simply because he's ahead. The game needs to get worse for him to leave, but it's part of his game that he believes himself to have an edge over anyone (or at least almost anyone). So when is a game ever that bad for him?

Tangentially, he probably should have sat out of the PLO games because he doesn't seem to have an edge there. That was more like pure gambling.

Just my 2 cents.