Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Taking the LSATS

You guys do realize that even if getting a 175 was cake for you, itd be worth it to work on it and get a 180.

i expected to get around a 165 and i'd prob be at same school i am now except that getting a few points higher on one test, one saturday morning, saved me $100K in debt.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LSAT taken in 2003. This was my ranking for the December test. You guys do realize that each test has it's own individual criteria right? The 99th percentile started at 175 for the test I took.

[/ QUOTE ]
You do realize that LSAT scores are calculated for the specific purpose of being able to compare applicants who took different tests, right?

The 96th percentile is typically a 167. You expect me to believe that for your particular test, the decided to make a 173 the 96th percentile? Then how, please tell me, are schools supposed to determine if your 173 was a 96th percentile score or a 99.3 percentile score, as there is a large difference in these two percentiles for top schools.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:57 PM

correct.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:26 AM

For someone who got a 173 you don't seem to understand how the LSAT scores work. It operates on a standard bell curve so that the same scores each score ROUGHLY correspond to the same percentile. What does NOT correspond is your raw score, ie, you could have answered 95/100 right to receive a 173 in your year and if the test is more difficult this year for the test-taking sample, a student might answer 92/100 correctly and still get a 173. Both would, however, be in roughly the percentile range (the small discrepancies amount because it's obviously not an infinite sample size and can't get a perfect distribution).
Old 11-19-2006, 01:21 AM

LSAT prep is job #1. Whatever your score is, pay for a tutor or a class to boost it. If you're 170+ on practice tests, call up Princeton Review and sign up for master tutoring and hit that 180 ZOMG FREE MONEY score.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM

silver you are right on. scoring high on lsat is also a strong correlation of bar passage rates as well.

personally, if i was on admissions council, and i seen a 3.2/170, that would concern me, viewing applicant as probably rather lazy. but that is not how law school's look at it..

in general, you guys will find that you will probably score a few points higher on the practice exams than the real one.. in general...

i did well on my gmat, a little above average on gre, and might push lsat to apply for fall. i'm really, really, late though...
Old 11-19-2006, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
might push lsat to apply for fall. i'm really, really, late though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Rolling admissions puts you at a disadvantage applying late. Wait to apply for '08 if you havn't taken it yet. (Scholarship money gets dried up as well.)