Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Flopping set

@OP: no
Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 PM

Another reason is when the dreaded set over set happens. The higher the pair is the less likely it will be for someone to get that higher set. Not that it happens very often but when it happens on the flop your stacked.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:00 PM

I still say that Gabe is right on the reason (though presented it a bit rudely maybe).
Old 10-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Not everyone is skilled at teamwork and isn't that what this site is all about? Brainstroming and trying to learn something new? The question above makes me think of another.

If I'm late with a small PP (lets say 55), BB has been limp called by many players, how does this effect the likelyhood all my 5's are live?

Is it different if there is an early raiser, one caller and the action is to me?

Is it different if there is a standard preflop raise, several callers and the action is to me.

These can all be calling situations with the right effective chip stacks. However are all the situations equal as it relates to the odds of flopping a set? Obviously more players means more action after the flop if you catch your set. However, does the action preflop imply and increase or decrease in the odds of all the 5's being live in the deck?

Would lots of limpers indicate lots of suited connectors and 1 gappers or lots of hands like KJ, T-Q, A-T and etc.

Another way to ask a similar question is this, what kinds of cards are most likely out of the deck based on the action preflop?

For example if your at a table with 5 rock squeezers calling a raise in front of you, you can probably accurately assume many of the big cards are out in peoples hands. A pair of 10's in the hole "could" have more chance of developing into a winner than a pair of jacks or queens.

Anbody following me?

I remember a 30 player live MMT at my local club. A loose player who tended to go AI preflop with any ace-9 or better moved AI, 3 decent players all made agonizing calls. I felt pretty sure the 3 callers had nice aces. I looked down to find QQ, Called AI. When the hands were all turned up there were two AK, and AQ and one A9 donkey hand right where I expected to see it. In this case the action and the kind of players and their history told me they were probably all painting each other and that is exactly what I saw when the hands were turned up. Of course, I quadrupled up. Certainly there have been other times I've laid down QQ and even KK preflop if the action told me they were no good and I have made the mistake of calling when I was obviously beaten.

I put the question to you all, how does the action effect the likely hood of all my 5's being live?

Dave