Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Going back to school...

Ok so after a year of supporting myself through playing poker for various reasons it's not for me. So i have no degree and i'm about 22credit hours from an associate in arts degree. I'm thinking about going back to school. I'm 23 years old, and it would take me atleast a year to beable to go back to school. My wife and i are about 15k in credit card debt, so i'd need to be well on my way through that to consider school.

I'm about to get a fulltime job anywhere to bring in cash, and play poker about 15-20 hrs a week on top of that inorder to rebuild, and hoepfully to quit working fulltime inorder to go back to school. I've considered a degree in finance, but i don't particularly feel like becoming one of those accountant types. After a year of sitting in my office alone i'm already close, but not gone.

I'm really thinking about becoming an an anesthesiologist assistant. It would cost me ~100k to get there. average starting salary is 90-110k. my credit blows. It would require me to move out of state to a school with an anesthesiologist assistant program. my wife has graduated with a construction management degree already (she's only 21, i'm sucha loser) and is making pretty damn good money.

it's a year out of even happening. But i've got to start thinking of what i want to do the rest of my life /now./ or i'll be 40 and having to save 1/2 of my income so that i have enough for retirement.

also, we were hoping to have kids in about 2-3 years. that would be put on hold to about 5-6 years. doh
Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Going back to school...

Is there a question for us somewhere in there?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:52 PM

oh yeah, i forgot. too late to edit.

is it worth all the time, effort, money(100k), moving out of state for 2 years then moving again to get a job, ect inorder to become something that will make ~100k/yr.

Also i'm not the greatest book learner in the world, but learning is a skill not a talent, thus i can work on that.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 PM

It your wife would have to give up her job, it's not worth it. And don't take out more loans until you are 100% sure you have the drive and ability to finish the program