Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Can we just get preflop out of the way? part I

[ QUOTE ]
jstill,

I play 6-max and my standard is to raise all PP from any position. Occasionally I will limp when I am certain a maniac would 3 bet me off my 33 pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise any PP from any position in 6max. When i started playing i was instructed to ditch 22-55 from 2 and 3 off the button, since they can be a little tough to play postflop, and they usually flop bottom set if they flop a set. It's more of a "so you don't hurt yourself" thing for starting off.

Surf
Old 08-02-2007, 05:43 PM

Its fairly unusual to be in a set-over-set situation, or any other situation where you would ditch bottom set but not mid set. So IMO this advice to ditch the baby pairs in EP is overly tight. I play all pairs from all positions for a raise unless like Frank said some aggro is just going to raise me. Then I'll open limp.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"but remember the Rule of 5 & 10, "

what is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

change this to 2 & 8 and your life will be better.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:43 PM

I used to play a lot of 6max, I agree in the beginning just nit it up in early spots to avoid difficult decisions. As in UTG/UTG+1 all pairs, AJo+, ATs+, that's it. once you get comfortable open it up by all means... Over all of my databases I ran at like 24/20 (+/-2) for each... utg I was normally something like 15/14. There is no reason to play a lot of hands early unless you are so much better than everyone at the table that your position isn't as much of a big deal. This is a very rare situation, especially nowadays so ignore it.

That said, I liked to think my ranges were (all things being equal, no weird history or weird tendency of blinds)

UTG/UTG+1 all pairs, ATo+, Axs+, JTs+, QTs+, KTs+, KQo

CO/Button: i'm always raising. If there was a limper everything above, and 43s+, 64s+, 74s+, A9o+ j9o+, K9o+, KTo+

Co/Button with me opening: any two cards I play so, everything above and Axo+, Kxs+, offsuit 1,2,3 gappers.

I feel like a book could be written just on playing out of the blinds to a raise against opponents so for now it's easy to just say surrender at will. Later on you can start getting creative, but always surrendering your blind in the beginning and just playing all your hands for a raise with position will make you tons of $$$. When you get really good and comfortable playing out of the blinds will just add to your bottom line.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Btw, as an NL dabbler, and a tournie donk with a history of limit, this thread rocks.

Please keep it up.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Great post AZK. Good point about defending your blinds, too - overdefending is a mistake most limit converts make.

[ QUOTE ]

Co/Button with me opening: any two cards I play so, everything above and Axo+, Kxs+, offsuit 1,2,3 gappers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question about this: have you found Axo (X<10) to be profitable from co/btn in your db? I even folded Kxs for a long time but i've started opening them...i can't get myself to start raising A3o from the CO because I feel like it is such a RIO disaster, and it just gets worse and worse with each additional player entering the pot.

Surf
Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 PM

I think this conversation needs to be expanded to play in the blinds. Its much easier as we all know to play in position, what are the characteristics of hands in the blinds and the characteristics of the opponents playing style/position are we looking for to make a call correct (baring the obvious stack size concerns)?

PS: I'm soaking all this up fast. Very nice, much easier here than in the SSNL/MSNL forums.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post AZK. Good point about defending your blinds, too - overdefending is a mistake most limit converts make.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Question about this: have you found Axo (X<10) to be profitable from co/btn in your db? I even folded Kxs for a long time but i've started opening them...i can't get myself to start raising A3o from the CO because I feel like it is such a RIO disaster, and it just gets worse and worse with each additional player entering the pot.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

It was probably marginal from the CO but + from the button, it really depends how much you are getting played back at, 2/4, 3/6 for sure open on the button, lower stakes games i'd just let them go, if you read hands well and you all do since you are limit playres it's fairly easy to take a hand like A6o and play it profitably with position and initiative in nl.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this conversation needs to be expanded to play in the blinds. Its much easier as we all know to play in position, what are the characteristics of hands in the blinds and the characteristics of the opponents playing style/position are we looking for to make a call correct (baring the obvious stack size concerns)?

PS: I'm soaking all this up fast. Very nice, much easier here than in the SSNL/MSNL forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the players raising out of the CO/button are mega fish, I play my blinds. If they have a really huge leak that I can easily exploit I play my blinds. If they are medicore/boring players who play pretty well but not amazing but dont spew in any particular category i fold. If they play like me or can be tricky, do funny things sometimes or people i don't want at the table i 3bet... a lot. if they call or 4bet a lot i just fold and change gears. if they give up on the flop i 3bet or play a lot more. Mostly just because I want to be table captain and make them leave. If i make their lives really uncomfortable and expensive they will stop playing with me. This is what I want. But this is all a lot more feeling then standard play. Standard play dictates fold at will, play when you have a good hand... so the lower the stakes, say .25-$2 blinds fold a lot more than you would at 2/4 - 5/10. This is all probably pretty obvious...but it goes on and on and on and most times is influenced by tempo.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 PM

A+ thread for us NL wannabees