Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Ethical question

Playing 8/16 LHE last night. I'm SB with AXs. Turn completes my flush with 3 other players in the hand. I am distracted ordering a drink and am not watching when the turn card comes out. UTG+1 bets and MP calls before I turn my attention back to the table. LP is contemplating a call when a player not in the hand asks the dealer whether I checked. Dealer looks at me and I say, "yes, its good". LP calls, I raise, and everyone calls. Karma does not exact revenge as my flush holds up through the river and I win the pot.

I felt pretty dirty after, which probably means that I should have just said that I had not acted yet. However, I wanted to check with the collective wisdom of the B&M forum. Did I shoot an angle in this situation?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Ethical question

If you said: "I have not acted, I check" then the result would have been the same.

Also, it is your responsibility to protect your action, you did not do this and there was significant action behind you. I don't even know if you would get to act first again even if you had objected.

No need to feel dirty here
Old 07-20-2007, 09:25 PM

No angle.

You exploited their impatience.

Screw em.

b
Old 07-21-2007, 01:13 AM

I've got caught in this situation before, sometimes when the card just dealt gave me a monster but more often when it was a blank for me. Usually if I'm in the middle of getting my drink, tipping the waitress and have no idea what is going on, I just check quickly so that I don't hold the game up.

You did nothing wrong. Check-raising is permissible and if you'd known for sure you could have squeezed in a check-raise you would have anyway. No biggie. I'd rather say check than hold the whole table up.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:25 AM

Safe. NH.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 checks and MP checks before I turn my attention back to the table. LP is contemplating his action when a player not in the hand asks the dealer whether I checked. Dealer looks at me and I say...????

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-21-2007, 04:10 AM

Once there is action behind there is nothing that can be done and you definitely shouldn't feel dirty
Old 07-21-2007, 05:36 PM

In my opinion, what you did was a bit unethical, since you lied. It could be considered a VERY mild angle shoot.

The thing is, since action took place after you, all you needed to say was "No, sorry, I was busy ordering a drink." then check. I think the bet and call from the other two players would stand - though I'd like someone else to confirm that that is the usual ruling.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:29 PM

IMO by lying you created an angle, whereas if you had been honest, the result would have been the same.