Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Question for GOBBOBOY

This may seem like a stupid question. Does Howard Lederer own FTP or is he a major shareholder? Is he involved with their day to day operations? I thought he was like an owner of the company that developes the software for FTp or something like that. Anyone?

"From: Howard Lederer
Sent: Sat 11/3/2007 7:21 PM
To: Robert H. Wolf; Ray Bitar
Cc: Jason Newitt
Subject: RE: Aussie Millions. (KMM4237266I19928L0KM)

The guy's a freak and a very weird dude. He is also quite young. I think we should stay away.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:49 AM

Gobbo rocks and anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't know the guy. It does surprise me that Lederer doesn't see a little bit of himself in Gobbo. Both guys are very smart and have weight issues. It is hard to imagine Howard being less of a nerd than Gobbo is. While I can certainly understand not wanting Gobbo to be the face of your company (the guy isn't exactly photogenic) - I could also see Gobbo being an asset to a site. Isn't this the ultimate "revenge of the nerds" situation? Only instead of the nerd becoming the head of Microsoft, this particular nerd is on ESPN at the age of 20 taking on some of the best poker players in the world.

I don't know the best way to market poker. Highlighting guys like Jimmy might intimidate those new to the game. What chance does your average frat guy have against an obvious genius like Jimmy? OTOH, Jimmy seems to perpetuate the myth that playing lots of hands is a good thing. Novice players should really get a kick out of watching Jimmy's style of play. Then again, you have the eye candy factor. Chad Brown and Isabelle Mercier bring viewers because they are pretty. I think having a player like Jimmy in your cabal is a good thing - particularly for a site like FTP which has so many sponsored players - Jimmy would make a good demographic addition to that team.

Finally, from my limited interactions with Jimmy, I don't think he is either a freak or a "very weird dude." He's a cool young man with good insights into life and poker.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gobbo rocks and anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't know the guy. It does surprise me that Lederer doesn't see a little bit of himself in Gobbo. Both guys are very smart and have weight issues. It is hard to imagine Howard being less of a nerd than Gobbo is. While I can certainly understand not wanting Gobbo to be the face of your company (the guy isn't exactly photogenic) - I could also see Gobbo being an asset to a site. Isn't this the ultimate "revenge of the nerds" situation? Only instead of the nerd becoming the head of Microsoft, this particular nerd is on ESPN at the age of 20 taking on some of the best poker players in the world.

I don't know the best way to market poker. Highlighting guys like Jimmy might intimidate those new to the game. What chance does your average frat guy have against an obvious genius like Jimmy? OTOH, Jimmy seems to perpetuate the myth that playing lots of hands is a good thing. Novice players should really get a kick out of watching Jimmy's style of play. Then again, you have the eye candy factor. Chad Brown and Isabelle Mercier bring viewers because they are pretty. I think having a player like Jimmy in your cabal is a good thing - particularly for a site like FTP which has so many sponsored players - Jimmy would make a good demographic addition to that team.

Finally, from my limited interactions with Jimmy, I don't think he is either a freak or a "very weird dude." He's a cool young man with good insights into life and poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy your love affair now as he will be lucky to see his 25th b-day. He is an awkward shut in who has made 1 to many trips to the snack drawer and has about as much insight in poker as my shoe.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:11 AM

What i thought when i first read the thread was if FTP doesnt want him, another site will at least for the Aussie Millions anyway - he will undoubtably get TV time as the 2nd place finisher last year.

But, well, if your going to act unprofessionally by posting that. Ho hum.

OK, what Howard said was unprofessional - but he sent an internal email he never expected to become public consumption. If his MO is to make decisions and express them that way, well, its his company.

But if i were another site viewing this - id need to seriously consider Fricke being a bad person to back because as soon as something remotely sour happens be in it negotiations, the life of the contract or the ending of the relationship you will have him on the forums telling everyone what happened.

What Gobbo did wasnt really wrong, but sometimes there is a time to just keep things quiet - the only way i think he should have justification is if he was genuinely upset by it - i just dont see that given what i read and the tone he presented it. It was a "hey guys, look what someone accidentally sent me, lets give me some attention now ok".

I say this with no hate for Gobbo whatsoever btw. But i think he harmed the Gobboboy brand. If that doesnt matter to him then its all chill, but i honestly think he made a big error here.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a "hey guys, look what someone accidentally sent me, lets give me some attention now ok".

[/ QUOTE ]

IT'S [censored] BBV.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy your love affair now as he will be lucky to see his 25th b-day. He is an awkward shut in who has made 1 to many trips to the snack drawer and has about as much insight in poker as my shoe.

[/ QUOTE ]

just the thought of your life and mindset makes me laugh pretty hard at you.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But i think he harmed the Gobboboy brand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's gold.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 AM

howard was deff going for a value burn. that was no bluff. i wouldnt accept any app. from howard.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

salesbeast,
why all the hate.reading your posts i didnt expect this from you.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:57 AM

I don't care what everybody else says, that was funny as hell to me. Why do people on here want to stroke the pecker of everybody that plays cards on a computer