Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 01:32 AM

Default losing poker players

let's get a quick survey...how many of you are losing poker players thus far in your career? given that 90% of all poker players are losers, i would expect quite a few....

anyone care to discuss how they've coped with losing and what improvements they'v made to succeed?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Re: losing poker players

why do i get the feeling this post won't be too popular here?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:46 AM

losing players don't know/think they're a losing player. If you're talking to a loser, you'll get a lot of "I'm a bout even."
Old 03-13-2006, 01:47 AM

I am........Ive probably lost about $750 in the last year (reloading for beatween $50-$100 at a time)........I had a run where I took a $50 deposit on stars and turned it into $500 grinding it at $.50-$1 limit but then I went crazy and lost it in about 2 days.......

I know people say if you cant beat the micro, you cant beat the higher limits, but if I could start over, I would just deposit $1500 and play $2/4 limit very tight. I am probably gonna do this soon actually and we`ll see how it goes.

As for reasons for losing, well I must say patience is a key, and bankroll management. Or in other words "discipline" is essential, even more so then the math. Knowing all the implied odds and reverse inplied odds is great but I think you could get by just knowing the general pot odds and being a rock.And play at a level where it hurts a bit.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:59 AM

not me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2006, 02:02 AM

Well I spent most of my first year playing real money as a losing player. from july 2004- April 2005. Was down $450 in this time period. Was just uneducated in playing thought could get by with basic stuff of knowledge. Turned things aorund in August. Started keeping track of my stats better (had previously only kept rack of things in terms of money wise from how much depositing and removing and so on). Basically took responsible for my play. Read as many books as i could get my hand on and reread them as often as possible. Took notes in the margins and took my time applying to the game and figuring out where some things are best played. I am still far from being a great player but I feel I am moving in the right direction. Since April 2005 until present I am up $857 (so total am only really up 450 after my loses from months previous). Some live play mixed in with mostly online playing. I have stuck with playing within my bankroll. I still have leaks in my game and am trying to learn still. I love the game because everyday you can always learn something new. Hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:03 AM

when i first started i was a losing player for about 2-3 months...and i think it was mostly because of bankroll management and not being observant enough of what was going on around me. $50 insn't much to work with when first starting out, and i probably redeposited 7 or 8 times before i re-evaluated what i was doing, and started to play winning poker. that was about 2 years ago, and i've been able to make a steady income while in school since then.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am........Ive probably lost about $750 in the last year (reloading for beatween $50-$100 at a time)........I had a run where I took a $50 deposit on stars and turned it into $500 grinding it at $.50-$1 limit but then I went crazy and lost it in about 2 days.......

I know people say if you cant beat the micro, you cant beat the higher limits, but if I could start over, I would just deposit $1500 and play $2/4 limit very tight. I am probably gonna do this soon actually and we`ll see how it goes.

As for reasons for losing, well I must say patience is a key, and bankroll management. Or in other words "discipline" is essential, even more so then the math. Knowing all the implied odds and reverse inplied odds is great but I think you could get by just knowing the general pot odds and being a rock.And play at a level where it hurts a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think most people here think that beating the micros means you can beat the higher limits. i know i would get crushed at high limits, but the low limits are easy for me. also, damn dude, you were clearly a winner at the .5/1 if you made 450 bbs there before you lost it all. just stay there for a while.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:29 AM

my barber said he had his best year last year...and lost $1000, mostly playing a beatable but fairly tough local pot limit game in town. a small amount was lost online, and another small amount on a trip to vegas. he copes with it by realizing he plays just for fun and can handle losing small amounts per year like that.

there is another couple of locals who have lost multiple thousands of dollars in the same local pot limit games. these two men... both older than most of your grandfathers... are long time donators to the game who, by one person's estimate have lost a combined $500,000+ over the last 25 or 30 years. they cope with it because they are both very rich and this money means very little to them.

my brother is also a lifetime loser. close to $5,000 over the past 2 years i would guess. he does not cope well with losing, and cannot really afford it. he is currently on poker hiatus.

most of the lifetime losers i know (and i know very many of them) play for the thrill of dragging a monster pot, particularly against those who are considered to be the "sharks" at the games around town. they get a sick thrill out of laying bad beats on people, and an even bigger one out of getting their money in good and having it hold up. it doesn't matter to them if they lose a grand during the session so long as they scoop a couple big pots that really hurt their opponent...again, especially if that opponent is known for being a very good player. and if they do so, th story is told coutless times to evreyone who will listen. most have more money than they know what to do with, so they cope with losing easiliy i assume because they are "winners" in life as far as money is concerned.

tripdad
Old 03-13-2006, 02:37 AM

I am a huge loser. I've lost somewhere around 200k in my poker career.