Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Absolute Does Not Respond to Two Plus Two’s Fraud Investigation O

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would obviously cost AP money. How much? I'm not sure.
But after dishing out over a million to their customers involved in the scandal, you would think they wouldn't have a problem agreeing to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute dished out over a million to their customers involved in the scandal, but wasn't that money all from the cheaters account? I was under the impression that the cheating accounts were unable to withdraw any, or atleast a large portion, of the money and so the players affected were compensated by the cheating account's money. If that is the case, then compensating the affected parties basically cost AP nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
That isn't quite accurate, they paid out more than was cheated. For example, in the 98 person POTRIPPER tournament they paid out $1K to every person in the event plus they bumped everyone up a spot. That is well more than the $30K that was cheated by POTRIPPER.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But after dishing out over a million to their customers involved in the scandal, you would think they wouldn't have a problem agreeing to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute dished out over a million to their customers involved in the scandal, but wasn't that money all from the cheaters account? I was under the impression that the cheating accounts were unable to withdraw any, or atleast a large portion, of the money and so the players affected were compensated by the cheating account's money. If that is the case, then compensating the affected parties basically cost AP nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
That isn't quite accurate, they paid out more than was cheated. For example, in the 98 person POTRIPPER tournament they paid out $1K to every person in the event plus they bumped everyone up a spot. That is well more than the $30K that was cheated by POTRIPPER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, they paid the observers whose info was leaked accidentally. More importantly, wasn't a bunch of the money dumped prior to all this. Did they actually recover that or was it withdrawn?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so AP did use some of their own money to refund some of the players, but it isn't anywhere near the million that most people think came out of their own pocket.
Or am I just wrong?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM

Me thinks AP will wait for the results of the audit before deciding if 2+2's input would be helpful or not.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM

without a independent 3rd party to investigate and do an audit, who knows if everybody that got cheated was paid back, what accounts where involved, how long has cheating been going.........so many questions we probably will never get answers
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM

i'm not quite sure what 2+2 would get out of this? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliffnotes:

2+2 offered to pay an independent team of lawyers to do a thorough investigation of the situation and report back to the community their findings, whatever they are. Absolute has not responded and does not seem interested even though it would cost them nothing and increase their credibility greatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like AP is just too scared that we'd do a too thorough an investigation. They obviously are trying to hide something. If they didn't have anything to hide, what do they have to lose besides increase community confidence that they are safe to play on?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:25 PM

They would figure out of AP is safe. Helping AP but also helping online poker by making this whole situation end as smoothly as possible. Pretty unbelievable that they haven't accepted this.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They would figure out of AP is safe. Helping AP but also helping online poker by making this whole situation end as smoothly as possible. Pretty unbelievable that they haven't accepted this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they would help AP and help online poker. How does 2+2 benefit from either of those?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 PM

augie - me too.
I also don't know why I would trust 2+2's lawyers to do an adequate job on this.
Mason isn't an online-gambling expert to my knowledge.
I don't know if his lawyers know much about it nor do I know if they know what types of 'computer experts' would do the best job. I think there are plenty of knowledgeable 'computer experts' who would struggle with something like this if they don't know enough about the whole online-poker thing.

The fact that Mason has known his own lawyers for 20+ years doesn't mean that I should trust them, does it?

Their 3rd party investigation of this might be more objective than the group that AP has doing it. But I'm not sure if objective necessarily means effective in this situation.
I'm not sure it wouldn't though.

Just my initial thoughts on the matter.
I appreciate Mason's efforts here. But AP choosing to not let 2+2 do the investigating almost seems like the least objectionable thing AP has done through this whole mess.

I do think AP could be more professional and actually offer a response to 2+2 though.