Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: US women\'s soccer takes 3rd. Scurry in Goal. Solo not in stadium.

I don't follow women's soccer, because no one does, but no one would have critiscized <sp> the coach for not putting Scurry in with her better record against Brazil because no one follows soccer enough to know about her better record against Brazil. We only know about that stat because it was the coach's weak justification for such a terrible move.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 PM

I don't think a single reporter or fan would have asked, "why didn't you start Scurry?"
Solo earned the spot as their top goalie and everyone understood this.

That's why there was such a reaction when the move was announced.
And, as I said, this public and media reaction started when it was announced 2 days before the match.
The interview after the match was just a response to all the hype this had already been receiving and obviously it helped to inflate that hype significantly more.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:37 PM

The first goal was actually deflected towards Scurry to make it a shorter distance, and she still missed. I can't judge how hard these things are to defend, but everything I saw and heard makes me believe that the shot would have been close undeflected, and after the deflection should have been a save for sure.

What really grinds my gears is watching all the TV-columnists defending Scurry by saying, "They lost 4-0, it didn't matter who was in goal!" The dynamics of a game change so much when there's a slight lead, and that's doubly so when the losing team is down a player. A 0-0 game in the 75th minute is nowhere near the same as a 1-0 game in the 75th, or a 2-0 game in the 75th, and being a player down exaggerates that considerably. I felt like all the idiots saying, "Brazil got 4 so it doesn't matter" woke up and were told they had to write something about women's soccer, and didn't really take the time to understand the sport or the context.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 PM

It was a horrible move that had a very predictable outcome. I would like to thank coach Ryan for the free monies.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM

rundown - completely agree.
Obviously it's incorrect to say that the U.S. would have actually won.
But the difference could have been far more than people realized.

If the own-goal could have been stopped, and I think it's possible although certainly not a guarantee...and if Solo can stop the 2 relatively soft goals that Scurry allowed then I think we have a completely different game.

And I also think the crazyness that surrounded the team afte rthe switch was announced was a terrible distraction for them and messed them up pretty bad.

But, in the end, Brazil is a pretty damn good team and is probably better than the U.S. regardless of the U.S. keeper as reflected by the final score in that game.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:56 PM

When in doubt, always start the hotter player. How is this not obvious?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 PM

swapping the keepers had terrible effect on team morale. in womens sports emotions are far more important than in mens. women care about each other and who they are playing with. men just care if their teammate plays well.

the heightened emotions only intesified a situation with the most pressure these women have ever faced. mentally they fell off and its understandable. they had no experience in such a huge game vs such a skilled opponent. and then the coach adds a ton more scrutiny.

that was his main screwup. the skill difference between the 2 keepers is small. the chance of destroying team morale and confidence is huge and destructive.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Why don't they make women's soccer players wear the same uniforms as the beach volleyball babes? Then I might watch.

As it stands now, I know nothing of this thread.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I've always had this irrational thing for Julie Foudy even though she probably isn't that attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree and disagree. See your own comments about seeing Ms. Hamm in person. I have to think Foudy has the same impact, if not more so.

Oh, and Greg Ryan made an awful decision, plain and simple.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Solo is going to be back in goal right away.

Not only is she the best keeper they have, her presence will draw attention to the sport which is always a huge goal for USA soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but what if it's an own goal?

I am kinda surprised this many dudes care about this event, I always thought it was a Girl Power thing. Anyway, I've always had this irrational thing for Julie Foudy even though she probably isn't that attractive. Plus I'm not sure if there's anyone other than Scurry left from the squad that won in '99. I thought I saw one or two familiar names.

Also, I saw Mia Hamm at a Cubs-D'Backs season opener once, she was in my section and rooting for her gaymo husband. Most of these soccer players seem to be centaurs because of the strong legs required, but she was wearing tight jeans and was H-O-T. She may have slimmed down a little after she retired. Hey Mia if you're reading this you can do better than that tool. Send me a PM for pics, stats, and roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I met/interviewed Mia Hamm near the end of her playing days and I was terribly disappointed. Cute face but god she was scrawny. Little bitty bird legs. Eck.