Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL

Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 PM

Default 5/10, KK gets action - I thought I wanted action?

5/10 NL online running 6handed, 1000 eff stacks.

Villain is a 40/20 type player, he goes too far with his hands and plays too many preflop, but he's good at getting value for his hands postflop b/c everyone thinks he's nuts. He spews a bit, and is capable of running some bluffs.

Pf: folded to villain on the button who makes it $35. I reraise K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to $100 from the BB, villain calls. (this can be a wide range, PPs, Scs, stuff he just wants to see a flop with, etc.)

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot: $205)

I lead $140, villain calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot: $485)

Hero checks, villain checks.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot: $485)

Hero bets $275, villain shoves for ~$500 more.

Thoughts on each street? On villain's range on the river?

Surf
Old 09-25-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: 5/10, KK gets action - I thought I wanted action?

why did you check the turn? there is a reasonable answer to this and a likely misapplied answer to this. i'll give a hint about the misapplied answer, it rhymes with snot patrol.

since you checked the turn and then lead the river, don't you expect to get popped by a fairly wide range by this guy? i would. your turn check indicates weakness and a guy like this is all over it. he's trying to put you to a tough decision, but in my mind you really don't have one.

you should have decided much earlier in the hand what you were going to do. before you made the flop bet. assuming you flop an overpair, with an SPR of 4.5 you are usually committed against this guy. that means going to the felt and feeling okay about it. if he got lucky and flopped/turned/rivered a powerful hand don't sweat it. make the right plays and you'll get paid. instacall that river, IMO. you likely induced a bluff raise; good job.

against this type of opponent, alot of times we can extract the most by letting them maintain the initiative, btw. for that reason i'm curious as to thoughts on checking the flop. seems like he would bet with a much wider range than he woudl call with, but i could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Make it $120 PF. Pot is now 245 on flop; bet 220 or so on flop; all in on turn. (Or c/r all in on turn; or check turn, and then when he checks behind, all in on river, either as bet or call depending on read.)

You didn't play the hand poorly per se, but just a bit bigger raise preflop (and bigger flop bet) allows you to have 1 pot sized bet left on turn, rather than 1.5. I'm actually not a huge fan of the SPR stuff from PNL, but here it works really well to avoid problems.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you check the turn? there is a reasonable answer to this and a likely misapplied answer to this. i'll give a hint about the misapplied answer, it rhymes with snot patrol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I wasn't thinking pot control at all, this guy is fond of floats etc so I thought i would induce a bluff often. Also, I c-f AK on the turn here so c-c or c-r w/ AA/KK is a nice balance. If he bets turn I call(intending to call river) or c/r.

[ QUOTE ]

since you checked the turn and then lead the river, don't you expect to get popped by a fairly wide range by this guy? i would. your turn check indicates weakness and a guy like this is all over it. he's trying to put you to a tough decision, but in my mind you really don't have one.

you should have decided much earlier in the hand what you were going to do. before you made the flop bet. assuming you flop an overpair, with an SPR of 4.5 you are usually committed against this guy. that means going to the felt and feeling okay about it. if he got lucky and flopped/turned/rivered a powerful hand don't sweat it. make the right plays and you'll get paid. instacall that river, IMO. you likely induced a bluff raise; good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ the planning idea. The flop came down and I decided I was willing to get my $ in given the pot size and his range when I bet flop, etc. However, this is just about the oddest action I could expect - I'm trying to do better than "okay i decided on the flop i was committed, put monies in." This is a very poor line to take as a bluff, since he leverages the least "threat" for the most money. Why wouldn't he bluff the turn when I check? He could even bet 1/2 pot-ish and set up a nice sized river shove if he was going to try and buy this pot.
This board is dry too, so it doesn't seem likely that he wanted to see a river to chase his draw, and then decided to bluff once he got there.

[ QUOTE ]

against this type of opponent, alot of times we can extract the most by letting them maintain the initiative, btw. for that reason i'm curious as to thoughts on checking the flop. seems like he would bet with a much wider range than he woudl call with, but i could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, and I checking the flop may induce action from hands that would otherwise fold - this opponent shows down too much and takes marginal hands too far, I felt the best way to extract was betting the flop. I checked the turn to look like I was giving up, and get a river call from hands that might have folded the turn - perhaps that is too fancy and I need to just keep pounding though?

Surf
Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it $120 PF. Pot is now 245 on flop; bet 220 or so on flop; all in on turn. (Or c/r all in on turn; or check turn, and then when he checks behind, all in on river, either as bet or call depending on read.)

You didn't play the hand poorly per se, but just a bit bigger raise preflop (and bigger flop bet) allows you to have 1 pot sized bet left on turn, rather than 1.5. I'm actually not a huge fan of the SPR stuff from PNL, but here it works really well to avoid problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point.

This villain is fond of calling RR's for about ~10% of his stack, so I wanted his wide calling range - I'm not sure whether he will change it if I RR more or not, I will have to experiment.

Surf
Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point.

This villain is fond of calling RR's for about ~10% of his stack, so I wanted his wide calling range - I'm not sure whether he will change it if I RR more or not, I will have to experiment.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

it's easier to get your money in against this guy if you raise more pf so this is a good point. i was initially going to bring it up but looked at the type of opponent we were facing and made the assumption that we could extract money from him postflop regardless.