Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-20-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Quick guide to satellite qualifying for big events

I like the double shootouts. Maybe I feel I play shorthanded better than most. Of course, many of the DS's have tough competition, but I can already tell the level is decreasing as many of the best players have won their seat.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it isn't even remotely close.

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMN!!! I have never seen this modifier used with this phrase. I have some suspicions at your reasoning, but can you elaborate?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

See, this is why the sats are so profitable. That's a very intuitive guess. It's also totally wrong.

Say you've got 18 people left, 15 go, stacks vary from 10K to 50K and the blinds are 500/1000. You have 20K on the button. Would you rather push into a 13K stack or into a 25K stack?

Answer: assuming both players know anything about poker, it's the 25K stack, and it isn't even remotely close.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant, thank you.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:58 AM

Mini Steps here I come!
Old 10-20-2005, 02:07 AM

I agree that doubleshootouts are crap, I only play them because Im bored and playing other stuff and need some high buyin MTT to go along with it. The $33 rebuys are total crap too as is any tourney that awards just 1-2 spots. The normal $600 buyins on weekend are much better.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see alot of your, and it didn't help to have Sirio11 on your right, but when you reach the bubblish area and you aren't in immediate danger, you should just be picking on shortstacks in position

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is why the sats are so profitable. That's a very intuitive guess. It's also totally wrong.

Say you've got 18 people left, 15 go, stacks vary from 10K to 50K and the blinds are 500/1000. You have 20K on the button. Would you rather push into a 13K stack or into a 25K stack?

Answer: assuming both players know anything about poker, it's the 25K stack, and it isn't even remotely close.

[/ QUOTE ]

explanation?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:17 AM

It should be pretty obvious. Just think it through (for me, at least, that helps with understanding a concept more than just reading the answer).
Old 10-20-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see alot of your, and it didn't help to have Sirio11 on your right, but when you reach the bubblish area and you aren't in immediate danger, you should just be picking on shortstacks in position

[/ QUOTE ]

25k stack doesn't have to take has much risk as the 13k stack. Both of their mental states differ, as the 13k stack knows they likely have to win a pot to advance, while the 25k is in fold-to-advance mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

explanation?

[/ QUOTE ]

25k stack doesn't have to take has much risk as the 13k stack. Both of their mental states differ, as the 13k stack knows they likely have to win a pot to advance, while the 25k is in fold-to-advance mode.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:20 AM

Lemme give it a shot. The medium big stack is feeling safe and don't need to risk getting crippled, even if he has a real strong hand. He can probably fold/steal his way into the spots. The shortish stack knows he needs to gamble once before he is safe.

Correct?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:25 AM

Nice answer. The question, of course is whether or not you looked here ^^^^^^^^^^ [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]