Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 PM

Default New PokerStars Data Policy

The following policy is about to be implemented across the board by the various tracking sites/services. I'm not too worried about it affecting traffic or subscriptions at the db because, if it's implemented evenly across the board, it really doesn't change much on a relative basis. I see it as something that, more than anything, will hurt the people who really enjoy using the db, OPR, sharkscope, etc. I think it might drive those people more to sites like FTP, Bodog, AP, etc. Of course, for those against data collection, it will make it more welcoming to play at PokerStars. Lastly, it will drive the creation of underground services to provide such information at a premium ... at least, until those services get to be well-known, at which point they'll get shut down. All in all, it should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

----

PokerStars’ Policy Regarding “Rankings / Ratings” Services

Distribution: Operators of Online Poker Player Ranking Sites

To ensure player privacy regarding certain player statistics and financial information gathered by websites (hereinafter “Service Operator”) that collect and organize PokerStars players’ results by various means, PokerStars has devised the following rules with which such Service Operators must comply:

1. No player profitability data (i.e. ROI, net profit, etc) may be displayed on any player unless the player has explicitly opted into such display by transferring $0.03 to a prominently published PokerStars account owned by the Service Operator. This request must be acknowledged by the Service Operator by sending the $0.03 back to the player as confirmation within a reasonable time frame not to exceed 5 days.

2. Any player may choose to completely opt out of having any information about them displayed on the Service. To do so, player will transfer $0.01 to the service operator’s PokerStars account. This request must be acknowledged by the Service Operator by sending the $0.01 back to the player as confirmation within a reasonable time frame not to exceed 5 days. Note that the amount here is different, in order to distinguish an opt-out request from an opt-in request.

3. The use of the “transfer from user to Service and back again” method for opt-in and opt-out is required. This method permits these requests to be handled privately and securely without the disclosure of the player’s Email, real name, or other private information. Only the player’s PokerStars User ID is required.

4. Both the opt-in and opt-out options must be prominently displayed on the main / front page of the Service (at minimum, a normal-sized link on the front page to a more complete description elsewhere).

5. If the service’s operation pre-dates the establishment of these guidelines, there shall be no “grandfather clause” for existing data. 100% of historical profitability data must be removed from view until such time as a player explicitly opts in as above.

Any Service Operator found to be in violation of these rules risks having their access to PokerStars’ game client restricted and/or the service impeded, including but not limited to the warning of players who access the Service while the PokerStars client is open.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: New PokerStars Data Policy

that sounds tedious
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM

We'll automate it. Setting up the systems will be kinda annoying and a bunch of work for the BLUFF developers.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM

A big thumbs down to Poker Stars on this one. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 PM

Ah. On another note, why does Stars care about people's stats being displayed? I never hear players complaining about it.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 PM

It's been said before but this is public information. It would be ridiculous to try and prevent sites like the Hendon Mob Database from tracking live tourneys.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:38 PM

bad. think emails to support would change this policy? are they going to ban pokertracker soon too?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bad. think emails to support would change this policy? are they going to ban pokertracker soon too?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would come real close to ending my play at Stars. I'm already starting to get on the Full Tilt bandwagon. Stars support is second to none but that only makes up for so much.

Edit: Without PT I would be lost trying to track my own cash game stats.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah. On another note, why does Stars care about people's stats being displayed? I never hear players complaining about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I recall from a couple weeks ago lee jones wrote an article trying to explain why anonymity is good for online poker. He talked about having screennames change every session and completely cutting out online rankings systems so people quit berating the fish. If someone has a linky for those who care to read the article this is where you step in.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would come real close to ending my play at Stars. I'm already starting to get on the Full Tilt bandwagon. Stars support is second to none but that only makes up for so much.

Edit: Without PT I would be lost trying to track my own cash game stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice 5k post