Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Am I an angle shooter?

limit O8. Flop of 9TJ gets capped 3ways. I hold the AKQ. The turn is another J. I check, bet, call, I call. River is like a 3. I check, guy bets, I see and hear a call, and I call. Me and river bettor turn over our hands. He has TJQK for JJJTT beating my 9TJQK. Now the 3rd guy in the hand pipes up and says, "but did he call my raise? He has to put another bet in!" pointing at me. I then say, "well the dealer said call." I then take my river call back and say, "If I had known it was raised, I could never have called at all." (which is true, of course.)

The third player in the hand doesn't say a word. Two players not in the hand each take opposite sides. The floor is called over, and agrees with me. Is this ruling correct? Did I angle-shoot?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Am I an angle shooter?

So after you called a single bet, did the original better called the raise?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM

no angle.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So after you called a single bet, did the original better called the raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not sure. This was from a week ago. I didn't notice ANY second bet on the table when both me and the original bettor turned over our hands. What I THINK happened is the raiser said, "but I raised I raised!" and the other guy confusedly put out a call and then sat there wondering what the hell was going on.

A friend had an interesting take on this. He said the floor should first rule on whether or not a raise actually took place and, if not, I lose one bet on the river. If it did, I have the option of calling with the hand which I knew to be a loser (given that I'd already seen a better hand than mine) or to take back my half-call.

I did feel a little guilty about taking back my river call. My response was more emotional than reasoned. This crazy, bitter, old man was totally convinced that I should be FORCED to put an ADDITIONAL $150 into the pot, knowing that I had lost the hand.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM

No angle, you're fine, common mistake for B&M
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 PM

Angle Shooting is all about intent. If you were going to call two bets, only called one (even by mistake) and then took the bet back, that is playing an angle. If you would really have folded to two, didnt hear it, only called one, and then took it back, that is legitimate.

The iffy part comes if you dont know what you would have done. But in that case, since it was never your intent to try and take advantage of the situation, it is still not an angle play.

So to sum up, in my mind, its all about intent.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:43 PM

Not an angle shot.

If you said "Call", you must put in and leave both bets.

If you just threw out chips (not enough to cover the raise), it is their fault for exposing early and you have the option of folding and surrendering the chips out there.