Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Who knows stuff about Kegerators?

[ QUOTE ]
-Buy old fridge
-Take out shelves
-Drill Hole for tap
-Insert Keg
-Enjoy

Total Cost: $100-150

[/ QUOTE ]

qft my daddy has one with three taps hehe!! but its because he loves to homebrew so he is always switching kegs in and out
Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kegerators are for single dudes

[/ QUOTE ]
False.

Single guys go to bars to drink and pick up girls.

Married men drink alone, no need to waste extra money on things like covers, paying for each beer and women trying to get you to buy them drinks.

These look so nice. My Kegerator is a 1950s GE with a hole drilled through the door that I got for free from my buddy's brother who decided to get rid of it when his kids became teenagers.

[/ QUOTE ]

your buddy's brother is a smart man
Old 06-12-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played beer pong with like 2-3 week old keg beer and it was the worst [censored] I've ever tasted. It smelled awful and tasted like terrible wine.

That was after my 2nd or 3rd cup.

[/ QUOTE ]
2-3 week old kegerator beer? Or just 2-3 week old keg beer?
I had a kegerator in college and we'd rarely have a keg las more than a week, but that's because we drank it. I've got a buddy at work with one and I'm pretty sure he keeps it stocked with the same keg for months at a time and the beer has never been bad when I've been over. I sure wouldn't want to drink out of a hand pumped keg after 2 weeks though.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 PM

phresh- that is an awesome action photo!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Buy old fridge
-Take out shelves
-Drill Hole for tap
-Insert Keg
-Enjoy

[/ QUOTE ]

qft my daddy has one with three taps hehe!! but its because he loves to homebrew so he is always switching kegs in and out

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't just connect a rubber hose to a keg and run it out the side of an old fridge. I think the equipment for the one I had was around $250 not including the fridge.

I've been thinking about kegging my own beer, but I don't think I can justify running a 2nd frige 24/7. Also, I often end up taking my homebrew to other places so I'd still need to bottle.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Buy old fridge
-Take out shelves
-Drill Hole for tap
-Insert Keg
-Enjoy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't just connect a rubber hose to a keg and run it out the side of an old fridge. I think the equipment for the one I had was around $250 not including the fridge.

I've been thinking about kegging my own beer, but I don't think I can justify running a 2nd frige 24/7. Also, I often end up taking my homebrew to other places so I'd still need to bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ebay & craigslist for the tap + CO2 connections. The cost of using an old fridge will be only slightly more than the cost for running a $600-700 kegerator. I had a buddy who probably spent a total of $150 for his kegerator, and that was the whole set-up.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I played beer pong with like 2-3 week old keg beer and it was the worst [censored] I've ever tasted. It smelled awful and tasted like terrible wine.

That was after my 2nd or 3rd cup.

[/ QUOTE ]
2-3 week old kegerator beer? Or just 2-3 week old keg beer?
I had a kegerator in college and we'd rarely have a keg las more than a week, but that's because we drank it. I've got a buddy at work with one and I'm pretty sure he keeps it stocked with the same keg for months at a time and the beer has never been bad when I've been over. I sure wouldn't want to drink out of a hand pumped keg after 2 weeks though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is the regulation. A c02 regulator will keep it fresh, along with keeping it cold it could last up to 2 months. With a hand pump you are essentially pumping oxygen in to the beer which ruins the flavor and freshness in as little as one day.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM

I own this site: www.kegeratorshop.com.

PM me any questions you have
Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ebay & craigslist for the tap + CO2 connections. The cost of using an old fridge will be only slightly more than the cost for running a $600-700 kegerator. I had a buddy who probably spent a total of $150 for his kegerator, and that was the whole set-up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good deal. It's not the cost so much of running it, it's that I'm a bit of an environmental nut-job. Not so much though that I'd let it permanently stand in my way of kegging my beer if I was somewhere where I had a better set up for brewing.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:35 PM

If you host a home game, then a kegerator is a must-have.

I own one. Old fridge + tap + coupler + regulator.

If you're going to buy this as a gift, I would obviously go with whatever factory kegerator. I'd also get him a kit for cleaning the lines. It'll make a very big difference in the quality of the beer.

Since I have a simple fridge set-up, I just replace the line periodically. Cleaning the lines is a hassle, but very necessary.