Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Lindsay Lohan and Rehab

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone on here want to tell me why smart people do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general the very bright are not different in matters of ethics from a person within normal parameters of intelligence. You must think abou it like this, the pain of a smart person, and that of a dumb one is the same qualitatively. The absolute bliss of a productive genius is the same in characteristic as that of a blithering idiot.

It is in terms of our emotions that humanity is said to be a community.

Cam

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really considered this as an ethical question, and it still doesn't seem one to me now that you've mentioned that angle.

I disagree that people with fewer perceptive powers can perceive exactly what those with greater perceptive powers perceive. This is borne out in real life all the time. That said, ignorance is bliss has a strong basis in truth.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Going cold Turkey can be dangerous from a health view. Cocain withdrawl can send you body into shock which is why they use meds to keep your BP stable. As far taking someone away, that will flush out their system but will not help them stay clean. Useually there are underlying reasons someone ends up a junkie and a drunck. Until someone looks at why they use or drink they will tend to fkeep going back to it.
I had a real nasty coke/booze/everything and anything habit and ended up in rehab for 28 days (standard duration). After detoxing and clearing my mind out I was able to deal with somethings in my life I needed to deal with and really look at what I had become. Most of us do not get a chance to drop out of life for 28 days and really look at where we are, rehab gave me the chance to do this and 9 years later still clean and sober. Now if i could just get rid of the habit of donking off chips I would be all set.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Not to make more of your little joke than necessary, but I agree that drugs/booze are usually done to address a problem, and until that problem is figured out and people can live with it, they'll keep trying to escape it with drugs/booze/gambling, whatever. Some people just go from one addiction to another, the underlying problem being a need to get through the day by resorting to something whose byproducts are addiction rather than any specific drug or habit itself.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:13 PM

I have a simple theory on this.

You don't have to be smart to be an Actor/Star, you just have to be able to act or do whatever it is you do to be considered a "Star". I would venture to say that a lot of these star kids are in fact stupid! Then on top of being stupid they end up with a combination of having WAY too much money and all kinds of people kissing their ass all the time. Young stars do not have any real life experience and partying is FUN and all of a sudden you have idiots behaving like idiots and we all hear about it because we care way too much about these peoples personal lives.

Yes, I know smart people can be addicts. But I really think a lot of these "Stars" and rehab is just a joke to cover for a personality flaw when they end up busted.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 PM

This is only for myself as far as drug/gambling i have never found the two to relate. I play BJ, craps and other table games on rare occassions but the juice people get from it has never been there for me. I enjoy poker becasue of the thought, skill and strategy involved. With drugs i was into the stuff that got you revved up so you would think the two would coincide, but not for me. The chip thing was a throw away joke, althoguh prooable a bad place to use it inregards to the context of the post.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought that if a close friend or family member was going through such issues, and if i had the money, I would simply take them to a remote location for three or four months. A location that was naturally beautiful, and have them stay within a comfortable two bedroom house.

All these rehab places are a joke because they're merely resorts with limp-wristed counseling (from an outsiders opinion, i guess i should say). I understand there are health ramifications with a cold turkey method, but I think most cases would do just fine.

Think "Trainspotting". Keep them in a basic room, with books they like and a full bathroom. Constantly watch them for a week or so, then open the rest of the house to them with even more amenities (better meals, more entertainment, and more room to lounge), after another week bring them outside to enjoy nature (hiking, swimming, fishing, etc.)

Ultimately, her parents are pretty ridiculous (i hear they have serious problems in their own right) and deserve as much vitriol as Lindsay is getting.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that sometimes turning your back on a friend can be more helpful for recovery. If you're always there for them, they know that you will get them out of any problem, hence they don't care about rehab, but if you turn your back, they feel bad about losing a great friend and try harder at rehab. At least that's what happened with Jason Mewes (Kevin Smith's friend) according to Kevin Smith's blog. Of course this sort of thing probably depends on the people (like for some this technique wouldn't work).
Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 PM

TL, DR.

They tried to make me go to rehab
But I said no (no, no)
Yes, I've been black
But when I come back, you'll know (know, know)

I ain't got the time
And if my mama thinks I'm fine

They can try and make me rehab
But I wont go (go, go)

I Didn't get a lot in class
But I know it didn't come in a shot glass
Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is only for myself as far as drug/gambling i have never found the two to relate. I play BJ, craps and other table games on rare occassions but the juice people get from it has never been there for me. I enjoy poker becasue of the thought, skill and strategy involved. With drugs i was into the stuff that got you revved up so you would think the two would coincide, but not for me. The chip thing was a throw away joke, althoguh prooable a bad place to use it inregards to the context of the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at some of the writing about gambling, and it's an addictive behavior that fulfills the same kind of needs other addictive behavior fills.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ultimately, her parents are pretty ridiculous (i hear they have serious problems in their own right) and deserve as much vitriol as Lindsay is getting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her dad seems like a loose canon. But can we blame the parents for the antics of a 20 yr old? I'm not sure about this.

I always thought the same way as you, that if I had a close family member who was an addict I would take them far away to a beautiful island and just remove them from their situation. But then I read up on rehab and I now see how this approach might fail to address some important points.

From what I read, one of the main components of rehab is sharing your story with other addicts. The more you hear other addicts talk about their problem, the more you see how you resemble that person and hopefully your eyes will be opened.

Some common goals listed for rehab are - identifying your "triggers", learning coping skills, setting your own personal goals and learning how to identify positive healthy people to surround yourself with. These all seem like worthy goals. Now how talented the people are at the rehab clinics is another question.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 PM

i think you guys started wrong. The people around her do not want her to get clean anymore than she wants to get clean. The problem with these young up and coming stars is that they are given anything they want and are often very impressionable to fit in.
One of my best friends is on the verge of getting a major recording deal, and is an alcholic/does a fair amount of drugs. People dance around him so much, his managment people get in touch with me to see how hes doing. The people that work for her want to stay working for her,and that is probably there main intrest. Anything goes in that buissness. Keith richards has been a drug addict fo years and noone demonizes him. As long as shes sucessful, and can boost you tv show ratings, and sell your product they want her.
Im disgusted by 95% or more of the "music indusrty" i have met, so maybe im alittle bitter. But i really doubt anybody is trying to get her to change