Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 AM

Default DVD Discussion: Before Sunrise

Okay, the doors are open on the discussion. I'll comment more later, but will say I came to this movie not knowing anything about it except I thought it was a LA Cop movie (I've no idea why), and really enjoyed it a lot. It's a beautiful little film.

Okay, GO!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Re: DVD Discussion: Before Sunrise

this is in my top ten films of the 90s and is generally a go to for me anytime I just want to see something enjoyable. What I really like about it, is how it is a romantic comedy, without all of the trappings of the genre. It's just two people walking, talking, and getting to know each other over a 16-18 hr period of time

What is also interesting is their outlook on life. Both Jesse and Celine are very wide eyed and think that a lot of great stuff is going to happen to them. maybe it will, but its also refreshing to see these people really capture the positive mood of the mid 90s when most of the western world was in a big economic boom. We also see that both of the characters are much more learned then one would give credit to a 23 year old, and its also kind of sad to see how most mid 20 somethings today crave to be a reality TV celeb compared to how both Celine and Jesse just want something more meaningful with life
Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 AM

db,

you thought it was an LA cop movie?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:54 AM

so...yeah...KDawg pretty much just knocked it out of the park
Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
db,

you thought it was an LA cop movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. Confsed with Tequila Sunrise maybe?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:46 PM

I can't think of another movie that makes me grin more than this one...I love it to death. Whenever someone has the balls to make a movie about two people talking it always amazes me when it actually works. My Dinner With Andre and now Before Sunrise shows just what magic exists through simple, yet profound conversation.

It's hard to separate this from its sequel, Before Sunset, and I tend to gravitate towards the latter for the simple reason I can better relate to the wistful, somewhat jaded yet still hopeful realism that the two leads bring to the story as opposed to the sheer romanticism of youth that the first one so expertly captures. They're both little miracles of film making and are my two favorite romance movies ever.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM

I liked Lost in Translation a lot more than this. I think Coppola did a much better job of relating to me the magic, wonder and beauty of those infrequent moments when we connect with another peson.

Before Sunrise seemed like an honest attempt at aspiring to something, whereas Lost in Translation actually succeeded. The connection made between the characters in Sunrise was much more trivial than the connection achieved in Translation. Sunrise seemed more about a physical need for company in life, Translation about a spirtual need.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are my favorite romantic movies by far and they made me look into the other Linklater movies. I think he is a very talented filmmaker.

I recently watched Cleo from 5 to 7, a French movie that follows Cleo, a french singer, for two hours of her life. The last 15 minutes are she and a random guy from a park talking about different things in life. I know Linklater wasn't inspired by this (at least imdb doesn't mention this as inspiration), but that moment reminded me a lot of Before Sunrise. My favorite part of Cleo were those wonderful 15 minutes, and Before Sunrise managed to extend those 15 minutes into 100 minutes.

Before Sunrise also brings great memories of a trip I once made, so I have this movie in a special part of my heart.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both Jesse and Celine are very wide eyed and think that a lot of great stuff is going to happen to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get this impression at all. Especially from Jesse. I know he just got dumped by his gf in Spain, and has reason to be upset after flying over to be with her, but he seemed more bitter and for deeper reasons than that scenario would justify.

His reaction to to the poet (he probably uses the same poem with everyone and just plugs in the key word), the palm reader (she only tells you things you want to hear), the waiter on the train (service is too slow - although this may have been a slam on American impatience and the I want instant gratifacation syndrome as it was rehashed later by another American couple in a restaraunt)... these things and probably some others I just don't now recall, led me to believe Jesse was a sceptical, untrusting, pessimistic character who is going to lead a very lonely life.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:25 PM

fyodor,

despite all that, he's still a generally optimistic character. or, at least when it comes to love. he's a cynic waiting for a hot French chick to steal his heart. he's an idealist and a cynic at the same time--take that final scene on the trail platform, for example. they won't write, b/c then all the romance and magic will be taken out of it, but they still plan to meet back there 6 months later. a "sceptical, untrusting, pessimistic character" would never do that.