Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 04:29 PM

Default NL25 - JJ basic bet-sizing Q

This is a very basic but kinda ipmortant part - how much to bet with an overpair on a relatively safe flop. Skip if you think this is kindergarten stuff.

Table is full of cold-calling passives. I guess they are setmining or playing ATS.

I used to always bet full pot here but I am starting to think it is not optimal and am leaning towards 3/4 nowadays - since we are obviously not eager to felt and will probably have to fold to very strong resistance.

Enlighten me.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($42.30)
SB ($29.40)
BB ($15.95)
Hero ($26.25)
MP ($30.15)
CO ($26.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets ?</font>
Old 04-27-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: NL25 - JJ basic bet-sizing Q

I bet 4 to price out draws.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:52 PM

I think it mainly depends on the number of opponents and the type of opponents. The more opponents and the more they lean towards calling stations, the more you should bet.
If there are more opponents, chances are relatively high that someone is drawing. We don't want to give them odds to call.
If they are calling stations, betting more has more value.

Since you're facing three opponents, I'd generally make it 4/5 or potsized.

This strategy doesn't apply, imo, when f.e. you have an opponent in the pot who is always suspicious of big bets. You could overbet the pot in such a situation. More types of players with bad tendencies can be relevant here too. You do want to target these really weak players. This is just to say that bet-sizing shouldn't be something completely inflexible in a situation like this(something that, in my experience, can happen quite easily).

I'm interested in other opinions, though.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Table is full of cold-calling passives. I guess they are setmining or playing ATS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we bet full pot here because we want to get value out of the callers.

If we feel like it then we can check the turn to keep the pot under control and induce a river call from a worse peice.