Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Default chaostracize\'s loc: - out of my jurisdiction

chaostracize's loc: is "Now coaching. PM me." This is verboten right?

Can a NL mod take care of it? I know we're not supposed to be messing with posters of other forums.

Thanks,

Surf
Old 03-14-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: chaostracize\'s loc: - out of my jurisdiction

that's horribly horribly forbidden.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 PM

It should not be considered modding outside your forum if you pm or change a posters location. That is across all forums. That should not really have anything to do with a specific forum (rakeback forum may have different rules). I would think the same holds true for a blatant spammer. If he has spammed several forums but not hit yours yet it should still be ok to ban him.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 PM

this is all correct. i removed the location
Old 03-15-2007, 12:47 AM

Mat,

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but I really don't see any difference between:

blogging

and

blogging, see profile.

same with:

coaching

and

coaching, pm me.

everyone knows what they mean, even when they don't give instructions.

basically, i think that locations shouldn't be used for promotion, sales, spam, etc. i think that it would clean up the place a bit and end the confusion if we made that kind of rule. i dno, i'm more flexible on the blogging thing since many blogs are just blogs with no ads, but i don't like having to click through like a [censored] detective. if people want to know more about a poster they can look at their profile (assuming we allow all this stuff in profiles).

i dno, it might just be me, but i'm kind of sick of 50% of all locations being: coaching, blogging, buying w$, etc.

i understand that when we get some more formal coaching advertizing scheme in place it'll be easier to say this (and maybe eventually a 2p2 blogging thing), but still it would be nice if it were clearer.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:05 AM

Cit,

I had been enforcing the rule in this manner for a while. However, no other mods were, and everyone I PMed to remove/change their loc thought I was an uber-nit. Eventually, I gave up.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:30 AM

As I said when this was discussed recently, I don't have a problem with people putting an ad as their location. If it was up to me anything but scamy stuff would be allowed. However, if there's going to be a rule against advertising, I think it should be clear what is and isn't allowed both to the mods and to the posters. I'd suggest whatever decision is made be posted in ATF so that when posters violate the rule they can be pointed there.

Edit: maybe there should be a thread before we make a decision asking whether people are annoyed by ad locations
Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said when this was discussed recently, I don't have a problem with people putting an ad as their location.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't have a problem with mcdonald's employees handing out free burgers either
Old 03-15-2007, 09:17 AM

It comes down to effort. I removed signatures for this reason and just looked for a way to remove location, but couldn't find it.

If these locations bother you guys and it's worth the effort it will take to nail them one at a time, go for it. if it's too much a pain in the ass, screw it.

Ryan, can we remove the location option? If we can, do it.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said when this was discussed recently, I don't have a problem with people putting an ad as their location. If it was up to me anything but scamy stuff would be allowed. However, if there's going to be a rule against advertising, I think it should be clear what is and isn't allowed both to the mods and to the posters. I'd suggest whatever decision is made be posted in ATF so that when posters violate the rule they can be pointed there.

Edit: maybe there should be a thread before we make a decision asking whether people are annoyed by ad locations

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo, the difference between blatantly asking readers to read your Profile or look at a website, and more subtly telling readers your "occupation", whether or not there are full details in your Profile, is where the line should be drawn.

I am happy to see "Coaching", but not "Coaching, see Profile; "Selling T$", but not "Selling T$, see T$Sales"; etc.

Your own Location of "Learning and teaching the game" is a good example of the subtle advert that I would be happy to allow, if I had the choice.

When it comes to non-profit-making matters, like referring people to an ad-free blog, I regard the above "rule" as a catch-all, admittedly, perhaps, more in the interests of moderators, in that we don't have to check out the blog to see if it is ad-free, and remaining so; and particularly so that other and new members don't see "see Profile" in Locations and use such references themselves, causing a knock-on effect and increasing moderators' workloads by them having to deal with nitty arguments as to whether or not profit and advertising is involved.

There are numerous "clever" Locations used by readers, so I would think we would all prefer to have to spend no more than one second reading them and saying to ourselves "ok", or "not ok - includes link", than having to go though some convoluted assessment procedure. Very little harm of any real consequence would result from this basic method of dealing with Location text, and is really how we have been dealing with it from the off.