Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Try to find a new filter to replace it with ... and give up when you can't find one 47 21.56%
just tell comcast you have no idea what they are talking about! what filter?? 116 53.21%
you are a thief, you deserve whats comin' to you 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Iron Chef OOT 3/8-3/18

Great job StevieG. Really cool submissions, and great presentation.

With regards to plating, I'm sorry I only included serving dishes, but I cut the quiche at the table; it'd be pretty awkward to make everybody wait while I snapped pictures. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the plating tips geormiet & CSC. I was considering getting one of those cheap flexible tripods for my little Canon, after I saw Dids mention them recently.

Will that make a difference? I'll be able to shoot better in low-light, but I'll have to shoot on a delay (lest my finger bump the camera on a slow shutterspeed). Maybe I'll find a trigger-cable as well. At the end of the day, though, no amount of $10 toys will turn my old Digital Elph 300 into a real camera. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With regards to plating, I'm sorry I only included serving dishes, but I cut the quiche at the table; it'd be pretty awkward to make everybody wait while I snapped pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I kinda realized this. However, as a hosting idea, consider plating for your guests. I do this whenever I cook for others, and it is appreciated. Also, snapping a quick pic might be a good conversation starter at dinner. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I've had people ask, so let me describe the asparagus liquid ravioli.

It's inarticulate, but the first thing that came to mind was "cool," and everyone said it. The sensation is a solid ball with a skin, maybe like a water balloon, rolling into your mouth. Then with only a subtle bite, it bursts and the the volume spills out into your mouth. The taste was pure asparagus.

In fact, when I practiced making the spheres, I tried them, and the sensation was great, but the taste was somewhat flat. That's why I seasoned with ground sea salt. It really picked up the flavor. Also, I decided to top with fried shallot. It added another flavor dimension, and some texture.

Visually, you can see from the pictures that it was appealing. A bright green ovoid, contrasted with the brown shallot.

In the end, I still want to call it cool.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM

By the way, I realized that I won the two battles starting with "a" and Ron Burgundy won the two ending with "ish".

I don't know what that means, but if we ever do "apricots, turkish" then Ron and I will probably have some kind of 10k IC OOT, yo.