Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: When To Give Up?

Playing part-time is just much more enjoyable. If you put half of the effort into a professional career as you would need to be successful at poker, you will defintiely go places. If down the road you are doing very well at poker you can gradually step it up until you can play full time. Don't forget that at some point you are going to want the benfits that come with a job including a retirement plan, helath benefits, paid vacation etc. At your age these things don't seem to matter but as you get older you will realize how important they are.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a good deadline to either make it(it = a decent living) or give up. i've been playing for 3 years now. and although i no longer lose money, i dont realy make much either. is there a general timeline for if you haven't yet, you probably never will? what are your thoughts on this? how long did it take you?

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to burn through small deposits really quickly a little over 2 years ago. for some reason i decided to toss a few bucks into a Pot Limit Omaha High/Low game, I ended up busto-ing, but was captivated by the game. the next time I deposited I played primarily O8 and also a little bit of Stud High/Low (having read some books), I worked $50 up to $500 on a serious rush but busto-ed again because I lacked some fundamentals.

Finally, I deposited $200 onto PokerStars, started off at small stakes PLO8 and have been beating the mid-stakes games pretty consistently since then.

I don't know if this will help you, but I think I understand the dilemma. Maybe you try learning some mixed games also. You need to be studious and disciplined to beat any game though.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Also, if you're really serious about improving you can obviously find a coach or join a subscription service.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:39 PM

to be honest you should probbly just concede that poker isnt right for you. If you havent beat the low limits after 3 years then its probably not worth it. By all means play for fun, but just leave all ideas of making money aside
Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you play powerball is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it's not. This guy has a gambling problem and shouldn't be playing poker (even if he could beat the game).

Do some research.

[/ QUOTE ]

(censored) me. This is the dumbest thing ever stated. So everyone who has bought a lottery ticket is destined to ruin their life through gambling? Please, we are all just a little dumber for having heard your theory.

And I'll give it all the research it deserves.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM

Default EV of feeling *DELETED*

Post deleted by freecard4all
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: EV of feeling

[ QUOTE ]
This is more of a math question than trying to correct anyone.
Here's the question: is it still considered +EV even though your odds are so small to hit since you will not live anywhere close to long enough to get enough shots at it?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not math question, it's psychological question.

(1) what is the EV (in terms of feeling) of having $1?
(2) what is the EV (in terms of feeling) of having $1.000.000.0 (or one zero more)

1st is about 0 EV for me. I don't care about $1 (well that's the price of one hamburger, one cola, one ice-cream, one bear). Do you really care about one bear? I don't.

2st is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to me. I could do everything I want. I would have never ever work and I would live in luxury for life. I would bought some Ferrari Enzo and live as a king.

================================================== ========
Even if I consider $1 is $1 EV for me then having 100.000.000 is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy more than 100.000.000 times the $1 EV.

Get the point? I don't care if I lose milion times one dollar (I mean a dollar per week). But hell I do DO DO DO DO DO DO care if I win milion dollars in ONE SIGNLE SHOT.

In fact it's ++++++++++EV+++++++++ for me even to think about it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit// what I mean: one ticket is equal to one bear or one cola. If $1 means so much for you then you don't need to buy that one bear. Price of the ticket is the same price as the price of the bear for about the same good feeling (except you can drive after one ticket