Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 03:19 AM

Default folding the nut low draw??

When do you fold a nut low draw???
Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Re: folding the nut low draw??

to any bet 1/2 pot or more unless there's several players in the pot or you have high possibilities
Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 AM

If u have A2T7 and the flop is 45Q and it was a bet and a raise and 2 callers and its your turn would you fold this low or call cuz of the pot size???
Old 11-10-2007, 09:42 AM

adding limit or pot limit to the OP might be helpful.

in any way: count your outs, look at the pod odds and the decide whether to call or to fold.

to your "specific" hand: its hard to make judgements based on pot size when you dont know the pot size (preflop action?).
Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Quocy - I folded A-2-2-J after the flop at the final table in a tournament once.

I had just one chip left after posting the big blind, and (amazingly) nobody raised my blind. Two players limped and the small blind folded. The flop was 6-9-T, I checked and two players behind me who had limped also checked. The turn was a 4, making the board 6-9-T-4.

Thus I had the nut low draw.

Deciding to save my last chip as long as possible, I checked. The player behind me bet four chips and the third player in the hand called. It would have cost my last chip to call to possibly win half of what would be a ten chip main pot if I called. Thus I was getting 4 to one half pot odds. Meanwhile, I had 16 outs, thus the odds against making the nut low were only 28 to 16, or 1.75 to 1.

When your pot odds are greater than the odds against making your draw, you have "favorable odds" to draw.

Thus I had the nut low draw with favorable odds to call. In a ring game it would be an automatic call. In fact, I would bet my last chip myself. But also in a ring game, unless I'm practicing how to manage a short stack, I'm rarely, if ever, going to get down to the point where I don't have enough chips to avoid going all-in. In a fixed-limit ring game, I'll normally re-buy or leave the table rather than playing short stacked.

In a no-limit ring game it makes some sense for a player with less skill to play with a short stack, simply going all-in on the first betting round with any good starting hand and trusting to the law of averages. A more skilled player wants to use his/her superior skill after the flop, turn, and river - but by going all-in on the first betting round, the less-skilled player takes the superior skill of the more-skilled player out of the equation on the three post-flop betting rounds. Of course skilled players hate short-stackers.

But this was a tournament and was at a stage where survival mattered. There were eight of us left and it would be six more hands until I was forced all-in. Three opponents with short stacks might be forced all-in before I had to post the small blind. Any one of them, or all three might be knocked out before I had to commit my last chip.

So I mucked my hand, hoping to move up a place (or two or three places). Then, as it turned out, I got lucky and lasted another ten rounds of the table until there were four of us left with roughly equal stacks - and we settled.

By putting my last chip into the pot might I have won the tournament outright instead of settling for a fourth of the four top places? I'll never know. After quietly mucking my hand I momentarily got up from the table so as not be frustrated and possibly put on tilt by seeing a card that would have made me the nut low.

Earlier in the tournament, I would have taken the favorable odds and gone all-in.

Was mucking the nut low draw the correct play, considering that I had favorable odds to make the call? I don't know.

More to your point:

In pot-limit Omaha-8, after the turn and facing a pot sized bet and against one opponent, you're only getting 0.5 to 1 half pot odds to call.

Meanwhile, the odds against you making a 16 out low are 28 to 16, or 1.75 to 1 against.

Thus your half-pot odds would be lower than the odds against making low. And that's called having unfavorable odds.

Immediately after the flop, with the turn and river yet to be seen, the odds against making and keeping the nut low in two cards with a bare nut low draw are 507 to 493 (against). That's about 1.03 to 1 against. Thus, getting only 0.5 to 1 half pot odds, with only the bare nut low draw, you don't have favorable odds to draw if your opponent makes a pot sized raise after the flop. (But there are often other considerations - for one thing, you do have those other two cards).

Buzz