Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Does Bald Discrimination Exist (and if so, to what extent)?

why does it have to be seen as "trying to hold onto the hair you have"? why can't that just be what your hair is like. you really have to be shaved or full head of hair? i'm not talking about ridiculous combovers by the way, just a guy who has a bald patch in the back and thin in the front, but he keeps his hair tight and clean.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:01 PM

It's a function of the size of the bald spot.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:23 PM

My brother started losing his hair when he was 18 and has had absolutely zero problems getting girls. He shaves it mostly but allows it to grow to stubble occasionally. It's still all about your personality. Unless you have a really [censored] up head shape.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM

It exists. It affects first impressions of you, based on the environment. If girls meet you at a club, at night, doing something fun, it's negative. If it's at work, during the day, doing something serious, it's a positive. It makes it harder/easier to fit into these stereotypes. If you wear ripped jeans and are practicing kickflips outside your house, you might get "whats that old guy doing??" but if you switch it up with a tie and some loafers it becomes "i bet that guy's rich!".

It also depends what phase the judgemental female is in. Phase A: 18-25yo is usually looking for someone young looking, just wants to have fun with someone that fits into their existing clique. Phase B: 25+ usually looking more for stability, settling down, etc. Sometimes you can find Phase A that is looking for a father figure type, but they're usually psychotic.

I don't think anyone is fooled per se by the shaving technique. You can tell the difference between bruce willis and patrick antonius LDO, yet they both maintain an individual style. When letting it grow out, a lot of people see it as trying to emulate a non-bald haircut, rather than the real intention, just having a normal haircut that isnt fully clipped.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Bald Discrimination Exist

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely. Many sociological studies show that on average attractive people are treated better then unattractive people, and all things equal most would count baldness as unattractive. It doesn't help either that in America we tend to have less respect for older people then other cultures, being that people associate baldness with being old
[ QUOTE ]
(and if so, to what extent)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Would be difficult to quantify. Depends on the person in question.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pics of your head plz. I have a hard time believing you look better with male pattern baldness than a straight shaved head. Unless you're pretty wiry or have a truly oddly shaped head, I feel most dudes, white or black, would do better completely bald. Just my two cents, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we referring to me (the OP) or someone else in the thread that I can't find?

I shave my whole head once/week. So at most, it gets to stubble phase. Right now I've gone 9 days and it's slightly higher than stubble, and I despise it.

Also, is there an easy way to upload pics from ur phone online? I have no device to attach my phone to and photobucket is F'ing me hard.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 PM

What would you rather first have a bald spot or receeding hairline.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:45 PM

i can see arguments for either. a smallish bald spot is really no big deal imo. and a little bit receding in the front is nothing really either. the problems arise in the two extreme cases. the humongous bald spot, and that receding hairline that makes you look like humpty dumpty.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 AM

I'm in pretty much on the exact same timeline as you. Shaved my head at 25 out of need.

I do think bald discrimination exist, and particularly by age. That said, I haven't felt like it is much more than an initial speed bump. Yes for most women, it puts you out of the intitial "I'd sleep with him just based on looks" category, but I'd put that at only 5-10% of the male population anyway. I don't think bald is a straight disqualifier for most women. After that, its all about how you make them feel.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 AM

Bald comes right before fat for most chicks up to a certain age, I'd say less than 35. But after that most men are bald in some form or another so it becomes standard. Maybe try hitting on older women.