Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: People who play internet backgammon are poor sports

Its not just backgammon players, it's everyone.

The worst is hearts though, cause it's so easy for one person to just sabotage a game once they are out of it.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:47 AM

All,

It's just damned annoying. Particularily because it is a game NOT played for money. The only reason to play it is because it is fun and enjoyable. Ignoring that there is, in fact, a real living person behind the moves the "computer" makes seems a little dehumanizing. You can't communicate much with MS Backgammon, but it cringes me to play with players who turn chat off.

"Seems like CSC is the poor sport for being so distraught over someone who wants to play it out."

"I'm surprised CSC would get so offended by the guy just leaving. "

It's not one or the other, it's that the guy did both. Make me play out a game that is all but a forgone conclusion and then leave without a word once it is a forgone conclusion.

MBob,
In little league they taught us to say "GG" after every game, win or lose. I'm surprised you don't remember [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Slickp,
Yes, you are correct with the poor sportsmanship across the board with MS games.

Calda,
HA!

LSF,
I'm assuming sarcasm. Yes, I am aware how silly the ranting OP is. JUST HAD TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2007, 04:30 AM

First off I would like to say that I am world class backgammon player (atleast I was - haven't played BG in years), with a very good (low) error rate playing a very long match against gnuBG.

Secondly, you will not find serious games or even amateur games of backgammon on Windows Live. I make the analogy that playing BG on that service is akin to playing poker for play money. There is no incentive to play correctly, and you will see players "call down" bets too much, the same way that play-money BG players will "call down" doubles too much.

So if you want good games, play a bot, or play on a service (such as truemoneygames.com ; [I am not an affiliate and have recieved no money from them.])

Finally, I couldn't understand the game in question, but you may want to analyze games by computer. There are often "dominating" situations where it is actually correct to accept a double because of the strong chance of being able to redouble.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:11 AM

oh, forgot to mention, you know there is a turn off chat button? then you can avoid half the problem. Plus their disappearing act may be slightly more of a surprise!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:31 AM

let's play some reversi
Old 07-22-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LSF,
I'm assuming sarcasm. Yes, I am aware how silly the ranting OP is. JUST HAD TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, my back is out again so I'm not sleeping and taking lots of pain killers, so I got a really big kick out of the OP. I was picturing how mad you were getting over this and was LOLing. I knew you were being silly and I enjoyed it.