Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 05-03-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Pushing both top pair (or better) and when you\'re on a good draw?

Let me start by saying i'm a SnG player. I rarely play ring. And when I do, I play boring tight ABC poker.

then i read this article about pushing when you have top pair+, and when you're just on a good draw. (For the life of me I can't find the article. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

good draw:
- flush draw with other outs like gut shot, mid/bottom pair, or overcard
- open ended straight draw with BOTH an overcard and 3-flush

The theory is that the other players don't know if you have the goods or are bluffing.

How is this strategy in low buy-ins like $1/$2 NL? (assume you buy-in for the max) Or is the author an idiot?

Why does this work/not work?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Pushing both top pair (or better) and when you\'re on a good draw?

Yep. we often shove our good hands and draws/sometimes air. which is why c/r-ing with draws and sets(or strong hands) is good.

at NLHE cash, TPTK isnt always such a great hand. i mean, alot of times youll be able to get decent value from it, but unlike sngs, its not the end all hand and shouldnt be felted 100% of the time.

but yeah, being aggro with draws and stuff like TPTK or whatever is all well and good. just mixing your strategy well. ie.

AA on a 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board, you bet, villan raises, you shove.

or...change your hand to like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. same thing. or you can change your hand to something stronger like 44/55.

So yeah, your statement is sortve generalized and relatively novice. you mix your hands and play so that you arent easily read when playing hands. of course, playing tricker or differently only matters when playing attentative opponents.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:54 AM

c/r with draws is good at $1/$2?!

i'm thinking they'll call waaaaay too often for this to be profitable. (obviously if we dont hit on the turn.)
Old 05-03-2007, 04:21 AM

A lot of the time people will just be cont betting so they can't call your check raise too often. Even if they do call, if you have a read on the player and you don't think they are too strong, you can fire again on the turn.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
c/r with draws is good at $1/$2?!

i'm thinking they'll call waaaaay too often for this to be profitable. (obviously if we dont hit on the turn.)

[/ QUOTE ]
i can search through my db and find a billion times where c/r-ing with a draw is fine. or bet/3-betting. or raising the flop.

the point is, you dont want to have your range singled by either 'he has the nuts always' or 'he's raising with only great cards'. you want to mix your c/r-ing/raising ranges so you cannot be read. pure and simple. you do these plays with draws/monsters/marginal hands/air/etc.