Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 02-01-2007, 03:35 AM

Default Do you believe in some sort of God(s)?

Its been talked about so much in SMP that I can tell you what they're gonna say before they say it...but Im curious to hear the thoughts from a different group
Old 02-01-2007, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Do you believe in some sort of God(s)?

Yes, I believe in God, but unfortunately I cannot get into any kind of a discussion about it because I have no idea how to go about proving it. I suppose it is just a leap of faith on my part, and my intellectual side hates me for it.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:46 AM

No, I don't. The more I ponder it, the more impossible the idea of a deity becomes. It causes knots in my stomach, but I just don't see it as a possibility.

Which is awesome, because I've came to the conclusion that when I die I won't exist in any fashion. All my thoughts, everything; gone. Ugh, I wish I could be more of an idiot (or less of an idiot?) and blindly believe in something more.

I'm also one of those lost souls that desperately wishes for a sign. I want to see something that conclusively shows me I'm wrong. However, I highly, highly doubt this will never happen.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 AM

I believe in great mystery around the origin of the big bang and why there's something instead of nothing. I mean as a physics major, it just makes no sense. EVERYTHING in the universe should be a zero-sum game. Why is there energy? How can SOMETHING come from NOTHING? Even if there's some equal and opposite parallel universe, it still takes positive energy to split the two and create these states of flux that we live in.

I believe there is an infinite amount of stuff to the universe (which really isn't even the right term as it's too confining) that we cannot possibly ever comprehend. I have no problem calling any of this stuff god.

I just don't believe in heaven or hell or any sort of diety involved in our lives or the creation of the earth on a direct basis.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:00 AM

Of course not. What do you think I am, some nutjob?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you believe in some sort of God(s)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Zeno is God.

The rest is just footnotes.

Le Misanthrope
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 AM

I believe in the validity of my own experience.

edit: I also really like the Tao Te Ching.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe in great mystery around the origin of the big bang and why there's something instead of nothing. I mean as a physics major, it just makes no sense. EVERYTHING in the universe should be a zero-sum game. Why is there energy? How can SOMETHING come from NOTHING? Even if there's some equal and opposite parallel universe, it still takes positive energy to split the two and create these states of flux that we live in.

I believe there is an infinite amount of stuff to the universe (which really isn't even the right term as it's too confining) that we cannot possibly ever comprehend. I have no problem calling any of this stuff god.

I just don't believe in heaven or hell or any sort of diety involved in our lives or the creation of the earth on a direct basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes the most sense to me- i don't believe in 'god' in the commons sense.. but there is so much that remains to be solved, and if the unkown source behind the start of earth could be called "god", I could accept that.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 AM

I like to think that the Universe has a big sense of humour and that which you believe in real life is what you'll get when you die. So, if you believe that you will cease to exist, then that's what you get. If you believe in a heaven and a hell with a list of rules to decide where you go, that's what you get.

I'm going with the 40 virgins.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:09 AM

Seems to me that the mistake Westerners make when they're asked "do you believe in God" is that the only way they see God is Abrahamic God. Even this conception of God varies greatly on traditional and personal levels. It has been my experience that when I talk to people who haven't thought about God much that they think He is something like a man in the sky who lets people into heaven or hell.

I personally don't know if I believe in God. I definitely don't believe in any God as written about in the religious texts that I'm somewhat familiar with, but I'm open to a different idea of God. I'm willing to admit the possibility of God as a name for a world-soul, a self-causing cause, or maybe something else. If I choose to believe in God it will probably be with the knowledge that I can't have a clear idea of what it is.