Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 05:34 PM

Default d.e. shaw

If anybody worked, interned or interviewed with D.E. Shaw Group I would appreciate any kind of feedback about the company, culture, people and anything else you feel like sharing.

thanks in advance
Old 10-14-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: d.e. shaw

I interviewed there 3 years ago, they threw a bunch of the standard brain teaser type questions at me. I did well on those but still didn't get a second round interview. The culture is very quantitative, top notch firm though.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:01 PM

Ozyman,

Thanks for the response. Did you have a very quant-heavy major?
I actually got a 2nd round with them and only got one brainteaser in the first so I am expecting to get killed in NYC. Do you mind sharing the brainteasers that they asked you or anything else that I should know?
Personally I have been asked the following of the top of my head: the 8 balls, the lillys in the pond, the cube in the paint, the angle betweeen the arrows on the clock, 12^3-19^3 etc., weight of cranberries problem, prisoner's escape, light switches in the room, white and blute hats, measuring time with sand clocks.
In short I am not that great so I appreciate any insight.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ozyman,

Thanks for the response. Did you have a very quant-heavy major?
I actually got a 2nd round with them and only got one brainteaser in the first so I am expecting to get killed in NYC. Do you mind sharing the brainteasers that they asked you or anything else that I should know?
Personally I have been asked the following of the top of my head: the 8 balls, the lillys in the pond, the cube in the paint, the angle betweeen the arrows on the clock, 12^3-19^3 etc., weight of cranberries problem, prisoner's escape, light switches in the room, white and blute hats, measuring time with sand clocks.
In short I am not that great so I appreciate any insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that they are looking for really, really bright scientist -Master's/PhD types or finance PhD's and the like.