Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 02:46 AM

Default 3 handed 200BB deep;; Is my hand too good to raise anywhere?

note stacks

Poker Stars, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 3 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $34.20
Hero (BTN): $446.70
SB: $796.30

Pre-Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $8</font>, SB calls $7, BB folds

Flop: ($18) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $11</font>, Hero calls $11

Turn: ($40) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $22</font>, Hero calls $22 (should i have raised here instead? wouldn't it kind of suck to get 3bet though? -- that was my justification for just calling)

River: ($84) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $27</font>, Hero folds right?

Villain is a 35/11 ...seems like a bit of a calling station, got his stack from just coolering people with sets over sets, house vs trips n stuff like that.

I didn't raise the flop since i thought that if he was just taking a random stab since the board was dry, he would probably give up on the turn. Since he carried on firing on the turn i figured he must actually have a decent hand. since i had a pair+straight draw+flush draw, i felt that if i raised and he reraised again i wouldn't wanna put all that money in on the turn ,,,so i thought id call again just to see what the river brings.

would you prefer raising the turn or calling?

river is a standard fold i guess? I am getting like 3.5-1 or something...but i guess im right like 0% of the time so that doesn't matter.

do you like raising flop here as a semibluff, or do you prefer betting if he checks the turn instead? by doing this i can try and get him off a medium pair...but maybe i shouldn't even bother trying to do that against him.

i thought floating the flop is better since it allows me to pick up some extra backdoor draws maybe, or hit 2pr/trips...without me getting raised off my hand. then on the turn i didn't want to get raised off my hand either.

thoughts?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Re: 3 handed 200BB deep;; Is my hand too good to raise anywhere?

I would raise the turn. You have a shitton of outs, position, deep stacks and fold equity.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:36 AM

since hes a calling station, isn't there little fold equity? what makes you think i have alot of fold equity here?

since i have alot of outs, and getting 3-1 on a river card, wouldn't it be pretty annoying if i got 3bet and then have to fold? im getting more than the pot odds i need anyway.

i also have position and deepstacks making it easier to extract the most amount of money if i do hit.

Since stacks are deep, isn't that a reason NOT to raise the turn? Since raising doesn't commit yourself, and it lets villain 3bet and price you out of your draw.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 AM

If he's a station then calling the turn is fine. I'd fold river.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 AM

cos hes a station turn call looks good, hopefully he will pay off big on the river if you get there anyway.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 AM

I think raising the turn is pretty bad. We have sd-value and a huge draw, don't know why we would turn it into a bluff. He won't fold many better hands unless we're willing to follow up with a big, sketchy river bluff. And we're deep so we hate getting 3-bet on the turn.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 AM

I raise the flop up. The chance of guy like this 3betting you without the goods is rare to non exsistent. You have a pair of 6's. Thats it. So getting reraised off your hand on the flop is not a crime against humanity here.

Even if you think he is stabbing here your hand is not so strong that you can start the inducing process from the getgo. There will practically be no turn card that doesn't scare you in the slightest. And calling down will get pretty pricey. Also, if he is sort of a monkey then he may call your raise allowing for you to get more money into the pot from an inferior hand. The fact that you have position makes this line work for you as it gives you options on the turn to either exercise pot control and/or continue plowing through. If you had T4 I would say your flop play is fine.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:15 AM

^^ what he said. r/f or if called pot control
Old 10-14-2007, 12:31 PM

I'm more raising because by the turn, I think we are at least 50/50 vs. his range. (and even if we are dogs, we aren't ever really crushed v. this tard). We have a nice hand that has a ton of outs and I sortve want to build the pot larger. There has to be some FE there, even if minimal.

I suppose calling down and raising river once improved is okay and probably standard. I just don't think that villan is 3-betting this turn ever if we raise.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more raising because by the turn, I think we are at least 50/50 vs. his range. (and even if we are dogs, we aren't ever really crushed v. this tard). We have a nice hand that has a ton of outs and I sortve want to build the pot larger. There has to be some FE there, even if minimal.

I suppose calling down and raising river once improved is okay and probably standard. I just don't think that villan is 3-betting this turn ever if we raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
With 50% eq we have no edge to push, I don't get this. And vs his calling range we likely have less than 50% eq. The only better hands we might have fe vs is better 6x or 99-77. But since he's a station he might call those too. I have no idea why you want to build this pot on the turn with this hand when we can wait to the river where we'll have a significant eq advantage if we hit and great implied odds.

I agree he won't 3-bet the turn too often, but if he only does it with sets we're a 4.6:1 dog when he actually does it and we're in a crappy spot.