Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 02:48 AM

Default PLO8 $25 PP - Value Bet River Size Correct?

No reads on the table except the maniac/donk just left.

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $52.11
UTG+1: $31.70
MP1: $66.91
Hero: $24.40
CO: $6.38
Button: $43.66
SB: $12.92
BB: $16.30

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

I'm still not comfortable on what to raise in PLO because a simple continuation bet could kill me in this game unlike NLH so I call.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1.5, 6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Hopefully someone catches a flush on the turn so I check. And yes this is PP so I'm hoping someone will think their flush is good enough.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($4.5, 3 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.3</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

OK, two low cards is enough and I bet pot (the pot was 4.3, the converter I guess missed the rake)

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($17.4, 3 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Yay! No low, now I want value. How's my river bet?

Results:
Final pot: $27.4
Old 06-09-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Re: PLO8 $25 PP - Value Bet River Size Correct?

I would just bet the pot. The players in these games are so bad that I would expect any J to call, most certainly for an A2 to call, and I wouldn't be surprised if people called with just a 2 sometimes.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:38 AM

There's no reason to not bet the pot at every stage of this hand from the flop on.

If you're going to make a weak riverbet like that, at least bet 1/2 the pot. They'll call.

Note: You said you checked the flop hoping someone would hit their flush. (a) you didn't check, you bet $1 (b) if you had checked: don't check, you want to charge people with lesser jacks now or allow a low draw to develop which could cost you half the pot.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 AM

Everyone else is correct about post-flop. You were fine to limp pre-flop. I would not raise this.

You basically need to hit the flop hard with these types of hands and you won't hit it that often so I like to get in cheap.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 PM

Well, thank you for the replies. I haven't had any luck of anyone calling PSB's in my NLHE game. I'll be sure to charge in the future on each street.

And I didn't realize that an A2 was a boat on the river, should have bet the pot there.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 PM

BTW- if you're new to this game... remember, a lot more then in Hold Em... you will NOT have the nuts here.

If you're on the river and someone's betting into you after you've shown strenght the whole way when you have AJ on a flop of AJJKQ... QQ or KK may very well be out there.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up kurto. I'm well aware being the under-boat, I guess that's why I'm so passive in this game as it is.