Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: New D&B Shorthanded book.

I've just ordered both of them
the advanced limit book also seems really good you can read extracts from it on the dandb website
The parts i've read seem really well written.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This book teaches you to be the guy in the big blind; that's probably the best way I can sum up the style of play it espouses.

[/ QUOTE ]

adman - two other ways to learn to be the guy in the BB, as well as how to adjust to be the guy on the button when you face the guy in the BB is Stox's shorthanded book and the MUSH forum here on 2+2. I am sure Barry's book will be good, I am not belittling his work, only pointing out that you didnt have to wait for Barrys book to get some of this "gold" - its not the first time a mine has been dug for us.

On a related note, can anyone give a comparative analysis between Barry's book and Stox's book? From the posts so far it appears (and I might be wrong) that Barry's book is more for the player who cant figure out how to adjust to short handed games while Stox's book is at an expert level for the guy who beats short handed games but is looking to squeek out ever last bit of equity edge. I'll read Barry's book someday I assume, but right now I have too much on my plate to evaluate it myself [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This book teaches you to be the guy in the big blind; that's probably the best way I can sum up the style of play it espouses.

[/ QUOTE ]

adman - two other ways to learn to be the guy in the BB, as well as how to adjust to be the guy on the button when you face the guy in the BB is Stox's shorthanded book and the MUSH forum here on 2+2. I am sure Barry's book will be good, I am not belittling his work, only pointing out that you didnt have to wait for Barrys book to get some of this "gold" - its not the first time a mine has been dug for us.

On a related note, can anyone give a comparative analysis between Barry's book and Stox's book? From the posts so far it appears (and I might be wrong) that Barry's book is more for the player who cant figure out how to adjust to short handed games while Stox's book is at an expert level for the guy who beats short handed games but is looking to squeek out ever last bit of equity edge. I'll read Barry's book someday I assume, but right now I have too much on my plate to evaluate it myself [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG TT .. you mean there are other ways to learn poker than books ?????

Does that mean that some of the lastest 2+2 books might be superflous ???? (No way man, I don't believe you ! )

Actually it compares nicely to stox book. It assumes less skilled readers to start of with but being a 360 (WITHG is 310 pages) page book in a smaller font than WITHG without spending 70 pages on database dumps means there is room for starting softly and still finding space to cover a lot of ground, they do it diffently than stox tho

Take for example the turn chapter, stox threw out a few mechanismism like the free showdown line and potcontrol. Borer and Lawrence divides the chapter up in handstrength (like weak made hand or strong draw) and discuss different lines based on different types of villians.

You being an expert player like Sklansky like to say, means that you might not find much new under the sun, I am halfway thru and haven't really found anything new under the sun, but unlike practically every pokerbook there is (expection might be pnl, but matt and sunny haven't really left the basics yet), this one is a pleasure to read and seems to cover a lot of grounds in a coherent manner, not just being 'concepts' thrown around in a seemingly random manner. If I was to recommend a book for limit poker, this would be it !

BTW I think this Borer and Lawrence book is as much a Barry T book as the now cancelled Zee/Fromm book was a Dr. Al book

The Barry T book has left a less positive impression with me to be honest, it might be a good book, but I think it might be labeled 'Intermediate Limit' more than 'Advanced Limit' ... I might be mistaken, I stopped after only 50 pages, but first impression is that it is a book for the noobs that wish to move beyond noob. That being said I think it might do a splendid job for that target audience [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (and as said, only read 50 pages, if you turn up the heat later Barry, I haven't seen it yet and might be mistaken)
Old 09-23-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ZOMG TT .. you mean there are other ways to learn poker than books ?????

[/ QUOTE ]
Gelford - click on ten books forum posters names, especially names of guys who are asking rudimentary questions. Search for their posts in the strategy forums. You would be surprised how few of them have explored the resources that this website provides. The gold is here, not in the quote that adman gave... in fact if we were to get nitty there was a factual error in the adman quote (I assumed it was taken out of context). This thread reminds me of how groundbreaking people thought SSHE was, in reality all the "new" concepts presented within were talking about openly in the small stakes forum on 2+2 for some time already.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 PM

Don't get me wrong TT, I actually do agree ... 2+2 the forums has done tenfold more to improve my game than any book [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This book covers how shorthanded games really play in the real world. In reality, the super aggressive internet games are totally different from how some of the older books perceived short tables. I love some of the examples in this book. eg: Here is one of their quiz questions:

"Q. The cutoff raises and you call with Js7s in the big blind. The flop is Qs6s2h. You check and the cutoff bets. Do you have pot odds to call?

A. Who cares? Most of the time, this hand won't go to showdown. You'll raise the flop and bet the turn hoping to take down the pot. Even if the cutoff has something you likely have 15 outs to improve (nine flush cards plus any non-spade jack or seven). Just calling down, hoping to hit your draw is terrible poker."

Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahha i am buying this book just based on this quote

[/ QUOTE ]

That is hilarious.
I had only skimmed the thread the first time through and had to re-read that OP was seriously referring to this passage as 'gold' and wasn't saying it sarcastically.

The book might be okay. I don't really know. But this passage isn't evidence of it having potential to be one of the best poker books ever.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:52 PM

Yes, stick with HEFAP ... marvelous shorthanded section there, nothing to see here, move along [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 03:54 PM

2+2 does have a more recent book on shorthanded limit play you know.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This book covers how shorthanded games really play in the real world. In reality, the super aggressive internet games are totally different from how some of the older books perceived short tables. I love some of the examples in this book. eg: Here is one of their quiz questions:

"Q. The cutoff raises and you call with Js7s in the big blind. The flop is Qs6s2h. You check and the cutoff bets. Do you have pot odds to call?

A. Who cares? Most of the time, this hand won't go to showdown. You'll raise the flop and bet the turn hoping to take down the pot. Even if the cutoff has something you likely have 15 outs to improve (nine flush cards plus any non-spade jack or seven). Just calling down, hoping to hit your draw is terrible poker."

Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahha i am buying this book just based on this quote

[/ QUOTE ]

That is hilarious.
I had only skimmed the thread the first time through and had to re-read that OP was seriously referring to this passage as 'gold' and wasn't saying it sarcastically.

The book might be okay. I don't really know. But this passage isn't evidence of it having potential to be one of the best poker books ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that example included ptracker stats. If so, sounds like the right kind of stuff.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:59 PM

Yeah .... but as said, this one doesn't pale in the pressence of stox book and for non-semi or fully pro 2+2'ers it is a much better choice (and no, don't mention SSHE it can't compete)