Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 06:21 AM

Default New D&B Shorthanded book.

OK, I just received this book- I haven't read it cover to cover but I have had a quick flip through every chapter. This book is AWESOME- honestly unbelievable! There is no doubt that it has set a new standard in covering shorthanded limit play. It is completely comprehensive and covers every angle of online short play- nothing is left out. I am positive that anyone who reads it will be blown away. It was really worth the wait- Lawrence Mak, Terry Borer, Barry Tanenbaum and D&B publishing should be very, very proud of such a spectacular offering. There is a new standard in poker literature. Well done guys.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Re: New D&B Shorthanded book.

Yes it is a well organized primer, which is indeed a rare thing in poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM

I have just ordered it!! [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

...but have to wait a couple of weeks for it to be delivered [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But i am glad it sounds as if the wait will have been worth it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Where can an American find this book?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is a well organized primer, which is indeed a rare thing in poker

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is a primer?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is a well organized primer, which is indeed a rare thing in poker

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is a primer?

[/ QUOTE ]

A book that covers the basic elements of a subject.

Tho this is not fair actually, the book does not do handrankings and blinds and such. But it start very basic with discussion what pokerstats are and mean ... different player types

Then goes on to talk pf and so on ...

The good thing about it, is that it is not rooted in some sort of pre-boom weaktight scenario.

Sharks are running 30/20 and so on ...

I've only read 70 out of the +300 pages, but it really make a very nice first impression. I like that it seems very comprehensive (tho some poster like it when the author is holding back and publish conflicting examples to make you have to work hard)
Old 09-22-2007, 04:59 AM

This book covers how shorthanded games really play in the real world. In reality, the super aggressive internet games are totally different from how some of the older books perceived short tables. I love some of the examples in this book. eg: Here is one of their quiz questions:

"Q. The cutoff raises and you call with Js7s in the big blind. The flop is Qs6s2h. You check and the cutoff bets. Do you have pot odds to call?

A. Who cares? Most of the time, this hand won't go to showdown. You'll raise the flop and bet the turn hoping to take down the pot. Even if the cutoff has something you likely have 15 outs to improve (nine flush cards plus any non-spade jack or seven). Just calling down, hoping to hit your draw is terrible poker."

Gold.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:04 AM

I will be very surprised if anyone who reads this book doesn't say it's one of the best poker books they have ever read. I'm putting it up there with SSHE and that is really saying something. In fact for todays poker it's probably a lot more relevant than SSHE is. Still, I will always love SSHE because it taught me the fundamentals of Limit hold 'em.

Anyway, for my money this is one of the best poker books ever written for it's given subject matter. I'd be very interested to say what Mason has to say about it.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This book covers how shorthanded games really play in the real world. In reality, the super aggressive internet games are totally different from how some of the older books perceived short tables. I love some of the examples in this book. eg: Here is one of their quiz questions:

"Q. The cutoff raises and you call with Js7s in the big blind. The flop is Qs6s2h. You check and the cutoff bets. Do you have pot odds to call?

A. Who cares? Most of the time, this hand won't go to showdown. You'll raise the flop and bet the turn hoping to take down the pot. Even if the cutoff has something you likely have 15 outs to improve (nine flush cards plus any non-spade jack or seven). Just calling down, hoping to hit your draw is terrible poker."

Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahha i am buying this book just based on this quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Does Mason still do book reviews?