Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

To show you how informed the national press is, on Around The Horn on ESPN, one of Woody Paige's memories of Lloyd Carr was that he replaced Bo Schembechler. Memo to Woody: Gary Moeller replaced Bo Schembechler and was the head coach for 5 years.

By the way, Gary Moeller's winning percentage at UM was 77%. Lloyd Carr's is 75%. Amazing that some consider Carr a good coach, yet Moeller is considered a failure. Which is the thing I always point out when a Carr apologist tells me about Lloyd's great winning percentage.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To show you how informed the national press is, on Around The Horn on ESPN, one of Woody Paige's memories of Lloyd Carr was that he replaced Bo Schembechler. Memo to Woody: Gary Moeller replaced Bo Schembechler and was the head coach for 5 years.

By the way, Gary Moeller's winning percentage at UM was 77%. Lloyd Carr's is 75%. Amazing that some consider Carr a good coach, yet Moeller is considered a failure. Which is the thing I always point out when a Carr apologist tells me about Lloyd's great winning percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moeller was a drunken idiot and didn't represent the university well. There's more to being a coach than wins and losses.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 AM

And fwiw Lloyd Carr had (has) the other coaching intangibles in spades.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moeller was a drunken idiot and didn't represent the university well. There's more to being a coach than wins and losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but I was referring to on the field record, not off the field conduct. I have a small soft spot for Gary Moeller for one reason: His first game. Early September 1990 in South Bend. UM had to replace most of the offense. New QB (Grbac) new WR's (Desmond and Alexander) and a new TB (Jon Vaughn). As an underdog we came out in a no-huddle offense, totally catching ND off guard. The Irish were totally unprepared, as you can imagine, since Bo wouldn't think of trying to trick the other team. That would be unethical.

Using the no-huddle with young, unproven offensive weapons, we went up and down the field against a good ND defense. Jon Vaughn ran wild, Desmond came of age. Then, of course, we gave the game away, blowing a 10 point second half lead. But at least once, a UM team actually tried to trick the opponent. And for that, I don't hate Gary Moeller as much as others do.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT +

add a national championship. Carr was pure class and a very respectable man outside of football.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, but I was referring to on the field record, not off the field conduct. I have a small soft spot for Gary Moeller

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the rarest of the rare breeds.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, but I was referring to on the field record, not off the field conduct. I have a small soft spot for Gary Moeller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

That is probably true. However, don't you find it interesting that people defend Carr with "ZOMG how can you criticize a coach with that great winning percentage." But those same people think Moeller was a bad coach, despite an almost identical winning percentage. If winning percentage is a great tool in determining who is a good coach and who isn't..then great. Everyone should be consistent, though.

By the way, so there is no misunderstanding, I do not think Gary Moeller was a good coach. He never should have been hired in the first place, just as Carr should never have gotten the job. At Michigan, incest is best. Instead of searching the country to find the best possible coach, we must promote from within. Hopefully that mentality is gone. At least our last 2 basketball coaches were not "promote from within" hires after a long stretch of that.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm drunk and I think what I meant to say is u r dumb.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My posts contain actual statistics, anecdotes, and arguments, and the best you can do is "u r dumb." Sorry, you lose.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My posts contain actual statistics, anecdotes, and arguments, and the best you can do is "u r dumb." Sorry, you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason you have chosen to launch a defense of Gary Moeller.

nuff said