Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

All that story shows is even at a young age gobboboy showed the instincts of a great poker player. He saw his chance to possibly get out of going to church and took it.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God has very little to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least we can all agree on that.

Doesn't it bother you that if you take something arbitrary like religion out of your family's structure you would think less of the collective?

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are twisting my meaning there. Tradition is very important to me and to my family. Our religion is a big part of our traditions. If those same traditions existed without mention of a god, I would want my children to continue them just as much. The fact that they are centered around a god (which you may or may not believe in) is a crappy reason to dump thousands of years of tradition.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM

I plan to teach my children about facts such as dinosaurs and evolution as opposed to imaginary reincarnations and an all knowing being who can not be seen or physically touched.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I definitely got a lot of [censored] at school from the kids and the teachers when they found out I didn't believe in god.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl
Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, WRT your comment about atheists being close minded. Well, I would agree with that. I am also close minded on a slew of other things such as basic mathematics(2+2=4) and things of that nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't implying that all aetheists are close-minded. The point I was making about close-mindedness was more about aetheists (often ones who consider themselves liberal and accepting) who ridicule and do not respect the beliefs of god-fearing folk, not aetheists in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this. Would it be acceptable to you to ridicule and not respect the beliefs of those who believe in the great invisible cheese monster who lives in the depths of the universe? Or those who believe that televisions are inhabited by miniature people who disappear when you open it to make repairs? Does the fact that an irrational belief is shared by many people make it more worthy of respect?

P.S. I am referring to intelligent, educated people. If someone has simply been brought up believing in some religion and has never had the opportunity or means to question it I don't think they are worthy of ridicule.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend and I disagree on pretty much everything religion-related, and we're also both very stubborn. This obviously wouldn't be a big deal if it were just a casual dating thing, but we've been together for a few years and there's talk of making the ultimate sacrifice. FWIW, I'm in the "religion is retarded" camp (agnostic/atheist), and she's Greek Orthodox. While she doesn't practice, she still believes in God and wants her children to be churchgoers. This seems like it could be trouble down the road.

Blind faith makes absolutely zero sense to me. It's not a matter of "not being open" (as has been suggested), it's just not how I'm wired. I need to see things for myself.

I'm sure this is a fairly common situation, but I'd still like to hear any insight anyone has.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the kind of relationship where you can make fun of her for her religion and she can make fun of you because you're going to burn in hell then I think this can be made to work. If she gets seriously angry about the subject when you discuss it and has the attitude that you have to share her beliefs to be with you in the long run then it probably can't. Personality is much more important than beliefs in the long run imo.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 AM

yea one time i dated a muslim girl (which i am obv not either). she didnt want to X, she wouldnt eat at certain places i wanted to take her to for dinner, now that i look back on it i LOL.

if you are not uptight and easy going im sure you can work with someone of a different relegion who is also not uptight.

if you are 100% by the book, whatever book you choose, you better find someone of your same beliefs or youre [censored].....
Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM

I am about to be a father myself, and being an atheist I have been thinking on the topic of religion. My wife is confused in her religion I think, she doesn't go to church or anything and is more or less an atheist/agnostic, but when asked she reverts to what she was raised with.

We are not sending our child to church. Admittedly neither of us go, but if my wife did I still would not want my child to go to church. Like many of the above posters I think that indoctrinating the young into any religion is pretty clearly brainwashing. I want my child to grow up with Values and Morals because they are the right thing to have/do, not because some Invisible Nanny is always watching her.

Once she gets older, and her friends start inviting her to church and stuff, I don't plan to object, and I will encourage her to go to several different faith's places of worship, and she can decide for herself. But the point is that she needs to be at a point where she can make that decision on her own, and not because she is being told something is the truth by an Authority figure on a regular basis.

Children are impressionable, and what they are taught young sticks with them. I would prefer that religion not be something that just "sticks" with my daughter. It should be something she finds on her own, even if she finds there is nothing out there like I did.
C-Dog
Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM

good job.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good job.

[/ QUOTE ]Blasphemy ye portly heathen wench!