Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 PM

Default No Limit player that cant play Limit

I dont understand how i can crush the No Limit games and play so poorly in Limit. When i play no limit holdem i usually triple or quadrouple my buy in in one night but when i play Limit Holedem i usally lose one of my buy ins befor the night is over. What i dont get is that people say that No Limit is for more skilled players then Limit is then why would some have such a hard time in Limit when he can crush the no limiut game. Maybe its the luck factor in Limit with all these donks and tough players in the same hand with me, i dont know
Old 04-03-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: No Limit player that cant play Limit

I wonder this, too. I think it has to do with miscalculating odds. By that I mean a raise in NL can be your whole stack of chips. A raise in limit is merely one bet. So it changes the calculus of whether it's worth chasing draws.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM

Limit is more mathmatical as far as I have heard. I suck big time at limit but do well micro NL.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:57 PM

In limit, preflop hand selection is much more important than in no limit. You can't just play any two cards beacuse unlike in no limit, you often can't bluff people off of marginal hands like ace high or bottom pair. Similarly, you have to be judicious in deciding whether or not to chase a draw or call someone down with a weak hand. In no limit, you can call someone's bet on the flop with absolutely nothing, because it allows you to represent a hand which you can bluff the guy with on a later street. This is possible to do in limit, but more difficult and much less often, usually when the other guy doesn't have much either. You can't get people to fold strong hands in limit unless its a multiway pot and they're a decent player. Once the pot gets big, you're gonna get called down, and you'll probably have to call down against them. Bluffing often takes a different form in limit. Many times, you will raise with two high cards or a low pocket pair before the flop, and then make a continuation bet on the flop whether you hit or not. If you didn't hit, you can still often get people to fold who are behind, but not so much that they wouldn't call one bet if they knew what you had. Example: someone raises with KJ and you reraise with TT, he calls. The flop is 833. He checks, and you bet. Against most of your reraising hands he has three outs or even zero outs, so he's correct to fold. However if he knew your hand, he'd call you on the flop and on the turn, getting the correct odds to chase his six-outer. But he doesn't know you only have tens, so if he's a good player he'll fold.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 PM

It's a misconception that NL is more of a skill game than limit. They are two different beasts and require two different skill sets. Making that statement is the equivalent of saying soccer is more of a skill game than hockey. They are two different games...even though the point of the game is to put the ball/puck in the net.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM

Limit is for weak minded players. There more the safe type players because they cant loose there whole stack in one hand. but what they dont realize is limit holdem can be a slow death were as in limit you cn get sudden death.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A raise in limit is merely one bet. So it changes the calculus of whether it's worth chasing draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best response so far. I would like to hear more about what you have to say, esp. regarding the calculus.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 PM

I think they should ban all forms of limit games just make everything no limit.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point.

Also, let's lobby to ban vanilla because chocolate is kickass, and the vanillas are unskilled anyway. Have you seen my helmet?