Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Blind Defense (General Thoughts)

I'm in 400 game with J9s in the BB. The game is pretty tight. It folds to the button, which has been standard and he raises 3x. He looks to be a very good player thus far. I've been taggy playing like an 18/15 game, and have only made it to showdown once where I had top 2.

I just muck here cuz I hate oop against someone that will probably pwn me.

However, what are some general guidelines here? What types of calling ranges, 3 bet ranges, factors to consider in this decision etc.

Any thoughts or links?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Blind Defense (General Thoughts)

J9s is not a hand you want to be playing with oop so calling isnt really an option i dont think.

3bet possibly if you know the villain and he isnt short.

But is there any need to defend your blinds in a cash game?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:10 PM

There is, especially when limits go up and there is a lot of blind stealing. I think you just can't let someone steal your blinds every time but have to take a stand every now and then.
For me BTW, J9s is good enough to defend my blinds with every now and then, always villain dependent of course. When someone with like 13/8 wants to steal my blinds, I'll just let him have it, but against some LAG I reraise there from time to time...
Old 08-24-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the term in the loose sense. I understand teh blinds don't mean that much in NL as compared to limit; however, I'm trying to find the line here where I just say, ok or go to war.

For example, what % of the time you do play to a raise from a likely steal do you actually call instead of reraise? What type of ranges are typical for a call or reraise?

I know this is player dependent, but let's start with a good tag. He'll float, make bluffs/semibluffs and we're both 100x deep.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the term in the loose sense. I understand teh blinds don't mean that much in NL as compared to limit; however, I'm trying to find the line here where I just say, ok or go to war.

For example, what % of the time you do play to a raise from a likely steal do you actually call instead of reraise? What type of ranges are typical for a call or reraise?

I know this is player dependent, but let's start with a good tag. He'll float, make bluffs/semibluffs and we're both 100x deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a hard one to answer. My general feeling is I will tend to just 3-bet him with some more hands but generally with good semi-bluffing hands. I am thinking more of hands like SC's and PP's than likely dominated hands like AT. For example, if you don't plan on calling with J9s but you may with JTs then maybe put in a raise.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM

I agree that you have to take a stand with your blinds from time to time for a number of reasons.

I also believe that when you do, J9s is well suited to use to do this.

I don't believe you do it by calling though. If you're going to play this hand OOP against a TAG opponent, pump it up PF and C-bet the flop 1/2 - 3/4 the pot. If you are called or RR.....be prepared to fold up shop and wait for a better opportunity.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 PM

When its folded to the button or CO, I loosen up my calling ranges out of the blinds, esp. vs. aggr. players. A button raise could be any hand from that spot, and I might 3-bet or call with a hand like j9s or better.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:17 PM

Here's a link I like
Old 08-25-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a hard one to answer. My general feeling is I will tend to just 3-bet him with some more hands but generally with good semi-bluffing hands. I am thinking more of hands like SC's and PP's than likely dominated hands like AT. For example, if you don't plan on calling with J9s but you may with JTs then maybe put in a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

this works ok until the day that one of these guys realizes your threebetting range is comprised mainly of junk, then you stop winning these pots
Old 08-26-2007, 12:06 AM

At midstakes fullring it's not going to be that great of an idea to get into blind battles, especially with somebody who plays well. Position just has so much of an impact.

If I will defend I typically prefer to call and play my hand postflop since I will only attempt to defend if I think I play better. This is also due to 3betting simply just not being a large part of the game at midstakes fullring, so it's not as important to merge 3bet ranges.