Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Have Prov. Patent, Need Prototype/Marketing Plan

I just sent in application for Provisional Patent on a Cell Phone accessory (used patent agent who did research, application, wrote up disclosure and cost about 1k)

So now I have a year until I need to continue with the more expensive utility application or lose rights to invention. Looks like I need to get a prototype and start trying to market it. I'm really hoping someone here has been through this process.

What is ballpark for a prototype (product will be much like accessories you see in store for 15ish dollars, fairly simple). Any good sites to search? My patent agent has recomended someone I'm also going to call.

More tricky is the marketing. Do I just head down to bentonville and knock on walmart door? Coldcall QVC and ask to try out?

My patent agent, like most i'm sure, is more into the product portion, and has few contacts/little info on marketing/sales side.

Any and all advice appreciated.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Have Prov. Patent, Need Prototype/Marketing Plan

There must be trade fora, magazines, shows, conferences, etc. that you could attend/advertise in.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More tricky is the marketing. Do I just head down to bentonville and knock on walmart door? Coldcall QVC and ask to try out?

[/ QUOTE ]

you need a partner who knows what he's doing wrt to this stuff.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:14 PM

I think standard operating procedure here is to market it at trade shows. That being said, I have absolutely no experience in this area.

Could you let us know what it is by any chance? If you don't want to post it, maybe a PM? No problem if you don't want to share, I'm just curious.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think standard operating procedure here is to market it at trade shows. That being said, I have absolutely no experience in this area.

Could you let us know what it is by any chance? If you don't want to post it, maybe a PM? No problem if you don't want to share, I'm just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont want to just yet; we just mailed in provisional application to patent office. I want to wait until I've heard from them and that they have it on file.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont want to just yet; we just mailed in provisional application to patent office. I want to wait until I've heard from them and that they have it on file.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta tell your patent agent about electronic filing. You get confirmation of the filing and a serial number as soon as you submit the application:

http://www.uspto.gov/ebc/
Old 07-10-2007, 07:55 PM

China
Old 07-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Can you not just contact current manufactureres of mobile phone accessories, tell them you have secured patent on a new idea, and sell it to them?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 PM

It will cost you a bit to get a working proto. I wouldn't be surprised to have it cost 100K to build, troubleshoot, etc. Of course since I have no idea what the product is, I can't be sure. However, I would assume that (excluding your time) this thing would run 10K easy - less than that, I'd be impressed (especially if it's something that anyone would want).

For example, to get a plastic mold setup you have to have a large outlay at the beginning. For a simple part, these setup costs are usually 10-20 K, depending on the part. Of course, for your proto, you'd be getting it machined, and shop time is 200-300/hour for this type of stuff. You'll have to have a decent drawing or CAD to take to the shop otherwise the machinist's time will eat you alive before even turning on the power on his CNC.

If the thing requires electronics design, you'll have to send out boards and troubleshoot them.

I'd try to figure out what needs to be done to get initial testing going without a significant outlay of cash. Then, once you have something in hand, you might want to get investors to help you pay for the R & D. 1 year isn't a lot of time. Get cracking and good luck.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 PM

I am currently working for a venture capital place that invests millions in things like this.

Sorry I can't help!