Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Knock, knock (important stuff inside)

Who is there?

uNL concept of the week?

<font color="blue"> uNL Concept of the week who?</font>

uNL Concept of the week: The next generation, Check-raising.

My basic thoughts about check-raising:

1. You must be OOP (duh).
2. You should not try a check-raise unless the opponent has control of the betting.
3. You should not check-raise a passive opponent.
4. You should rarely check-raise a loose opponent on a bluff.
5. You should rarely check-raise a tight opponent for value.
6. You should rarely check-raise the river unless your opponent is ridiculously straightforward.
7. In multiway pots you should check-raise for value most often when the likely bettor is on your direct left.
8. You should almost never try to check-raise more than once in a single hand.
9. You can use a check-raise to reduce the frequency with which opponents c-bet, which in turn makes them easier to play against OOP.
10. Check-raising much more than 2% of the time is playing too tricky-trappy; check-raising much less than 1% of the time is playing too straightforward.

In short, a check-raise is basically "Slowplay, Jr." and should be used in roughly the same situations and at roughly the same times as a slowplay.

Authored by Pokey, Published by EMc publishing.

Use this thread to learn about check raising, posting good and bad examples, and generally about check'n and raizin

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gQXTeIl4aVg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gQXTeIl4aVg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Knock, knock (important stuff inside)

my favorite point to c/r would be something like this:

I get dealt KQ, raise from CO, BTN calls.

Flop comes KK2. I bet, he calls.
Turn is a 6. I check, making him think I was c-betting and have now given up. He stabs at it with his middle pocket pair that he was semi-floating with, and wouldn't call a double barrel, and I c/r the crap out of him.

Acceptable?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM

How do we use PT to find our check raise %?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my favorite point to c/r would be something like this:

I get dealt KQ, raise from CO, BTN calls.

Flop comes KK2. I bet, he calls.
Turn is a 6. I check, making him think I was c-betting and have now given up. He stabs at it with his middle pocket pair that he was semi-floating with, and wouldn't call a double barrel, and I c/r the crap out of him.

Acceptable?

[/ QUOTE ]
But then he folds all his pp, which are drawing to 2 outs. I like calling the bet, and then leading river.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:37 PM

a check-raise is a great move when used sparingly. I think it is best to check-raise when your opponent bets too frequently on a given street yet will fold to a bet more than 50% of the time. it is also great to check-raise in a 3bet pot where you hold an overpair and expect a c-bet from AK or AQ. these are pretty much the very few instances where I use a check-raise as betting is usually best in most circumstances. I think pokertracker has me as check-raising right around 2%.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:51 PM

2. I disagree with entirely. In fact, I think that never checkraising with the betting lead is a leak.

5. I disagree here too. You will get a lot more value with 44 on a 46K board against a tight player who raised pre than you would if you had lead.

8. Yea, I disagree again here too. I love the double check raise.

9. Meh, maybe. Most opponents at these levels dont c bet on the basis of how often you check raise (come to think of it, I think this applys to higher as well.) C betting is more a function of board texture.

I applaud your attempt, but all in all, I think that there are some flaws in your thinking here. Check raising in nlhe is one of those things that there is a lot of grey area. In general, a cookbook approach wont work well. Rather, a list of things to consider when making the decision to check raise is a much better approach as checkraising is something that is going to be gameflow/metagame dependent.

One thing that I would like to add to your list though, is that in general, when you check raise you should know exactly how you are going to respond to your opponents possible actions. In other words, your range should be highly polarized when you make this play.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Checkraising can really help temper an overaggressive player who is giving you a headache.

Checkraise him with air a few times, and if a few of these go through then stop, and start checkraising the nuts. They'll go spastic on you and bluff reraise allin.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 PM

not sure about 2% of the time. i think this can b utilezed more. altho i have no numbers to back this up. but i really think cr tags on the flop is a good thing and one that will make it impossible for u to play against

the rest of this looks good to me
Old 11-18-2007, 04:04 PM

Hand i played earlier that i think is a nice example of check raise

I have 99 in SB, folded to me.
I raise 3BB, get 3-bet, and call.
Flop is 239r i check, he raises, i call.
Flop a K, i check, he fires, i raise he pushes, i call.

He has AK. Think a check raise on the flop he would fold, and not certain if i can get all the money in on the river as player was semi decent fwiw.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:28 PM

I think it has alot to do about board texture, if I think the guy has a made hand and I've got a monster it's a nice why to stop the guy from pot controlling and win a big pot.