Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Fanboy policy

I think something this forum suffers from is negative fanboyism. By this I'm referring to making a lot of posts that do nothing but bash some system or another.

I personally think this should no longer be allowed, but I would like to hear from others.

There is obviously a fine line here, but the idea is posts talking up your favorite game/console would be fine as would making arguments for why your favorite is better than a competitor and so forth. What would not be ok would be just a bunch of "XBox/PS3/Wii sucks!" type stuff that doesn't add anything.

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Fanboy policy

I think it's a fine idea.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:35 PM

For most people, the purchase of the latest video game technology ends up representing a significant financial and somewhat emotional investment for them. In a lot of cases, their views will become somewhat if not entirely biased towards whichever console they own (which is natural).

No console is perfect. No game will be the last one you ever play. As such, it is important to keep an open mind when discussing the differences between one platform or game and the next.

Unfortunately, the group of people who make unfounded statements on issues with a completing platform/game are the loudest/most obvious.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Yes. Arguments are fine but simple one-line statements aren't.

I'm scared that this forum will devolve into something you see at Gamefaqs or Joystiq. For example:

Poster #1: I don't really like the games on the system.

Poster #2: LOL UR AN IDIOT WHERE DO YOU LIVE SO I CAN KILL U
Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For most people, the purchase of the latest video game technology ends up representing a significant financial and somewhat emotional investment for them. In a lot of cases, their views will become somewhat if not entirely biased towards whichever console they own (which is natural).

No console is perfect. No game will be the last one you ever play. As such, it is important to keep an open mind when discussing the differences between one platform or game and the next.

Unfortunately, the group of people who make unfounded statements on issues with a completing platform/game are the loudest/most obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preach the good word brother. I would be a rich man If i could get a dollar for all the people i know that love every single wii game, or how awesome Halo is, and how amazing sony will be once all their games (FF usually) are out.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:47 PM

As long as you ban daaaaahawkz, it's fine. Someone like Dire at least has a well written, reasonably factual post bashing the PS3/in support of the 360, but his stupid one line 360 SUCKS LOL needs to stop.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a fine idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you ban daaaaahawkz, it's fine. Someone like Dire at least has a well written, reasonably factual post bashing the PS3/in support of the 360, but his stupid one line 360 SUCKS LOL needs to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

dire doesnt even own a ps3 and yet he bashes them whenever he gets a chance...at least i dont make threads about new games and say stuff like halo 3: yet another boring 360 FPS.

i say i dont like the 360 and post reasons why i dont
Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 PM

I'm definitely in favor of this.

It's all about supportive evidence. Posts randomly bashing a console or game don't really serve any utility. Posts doing the same with 'reasonable' supportive evidence do have alot of utility.

But on the same note, 'reasonable' supportive evidence can't be strictly limited to facts / reviews / etc. Everybody has an opinion, and it makes no sense to censor negative opinions. If somebody just played Halo 3, for example, and felt it really didn't deserve the global 9-10 ratings it was getting and they had a 'reasonable' rationale for why, then there'd be no reason there shouldn't be a "Halo 3: A disappointment?" post. It's just that the 'reasonable' part is not easy to measure.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 PM

If it gets worse, then you should take action.

As of now, I'm against.