Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-15-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Martial arts standing bag - need advice

i want to get a standing bag mainly for kicking. 9-year old son does tae kwon do, and parents and 5-year-old have started. preferably something tall, 6 ft or so. bonus if the bag extends low enough that a 5-year-old kid can sidekick at waist height without hitting the base, but that's not critical. also, stability is key as there will be unprotected drywall behind it. numbered target circles would be nice but aren't necessary.

recs?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Martial arts standing bag - need advice

hanging bag not an option i guess?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hanging bag not an option i guess?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really - we'll need to move it occasionally.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 AM

Century has good one that I had in my room, its liek a tri-pod, and you can buy some heavy weights to weight it down. Its about 200 or 300 bucks.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 AM

I assume you're talking about something like this:

The wavemaster ones are high quality. You should know that no matter how solid a free standing bag is, it will move if you kick it reasonably hard. That's just the way it goes. If you don't want it sliding around the floor, you're going to have to get a hanging bag like guids recommended.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should know that no matter how solid a free standing bag is, it will move if you kick it reasonably hard. That's just the way it goes. If you don't want it sliding around the floor, you're going to have to get a hanging bag like guids recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a 9 year old and a 5 year old. I'm sure they have a few years before they have to worry about this problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should know that no matter how solid a free standing bag is, it will move if you kick it reasonably hard. That's just the way it goes. If you don't want it sliding around the floor, you're going to have to get a hanging bag like guids recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a 9 year old and a 5 year old. I'm sure they have a few years before they have to worry about this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

and parents... for that matter, a 9 year old could probably move these types of bags a couple inches with a sidekick.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and parents... for that matter, a 9 year old could probably move these types of bags a couple inches with a sidekick.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was not under the impression that OP would be using the bag. If he is not, I don't think this will be a big enough factor where he would want to choose another bag.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:51 AM

OOK is giving the best option. There are not many free standing bags with a base shorter than 12"-18". This should be short enough for your 5 year old to throw a side kick and hit the bag. Even if he doesn't hit the bag, the base won't hurt him. They'll probably run you about $200 at Joe's sports (if you live in the NW), or Big 5. You might want to check out a boxing/martial arts gym to see if they'll sell you a used bag.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Century has good one that I had in my room, its liek a tri-pod, and you can buy some heavy weights to weight it down. Its about 200 or 300 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That one seems so close and tight into the stand that it looks hard to use for things like a side kick. It looks like it would be hard to approach from some angles, and go crashing into the support structure a lot.

Also the rods on the bottom for holding the weight look like they would spear a 5-year-old (or an adult) who lost his footing.

I really don't like the danger factor of those, though they look useful.