Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: I would have liked more Snape, though the memory he gives Harry was pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I loved the memory. When I was reading book 5 I remember thinking that it was lame that 'Snape's worst memory' (the title of the chapter) was being hung upside down and made fun of by James and Sirius. I mean he had to have had similar things done to him throughout his time at Hogwarts and worse things on top of that. Seeing that it was actually about him calling Lily Mudblood was pretty cool.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also on people dying what about Lupin, Tonks, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole Lupin/Tonks dying seemed pretty weird to me. Its such a tie in to Harry, but then nothing happens with it. It seemed slightly strange to me.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole Lupin/Tonks dying seemed pretty weird to me. Its such a tie in to Harry, but then nothing happens with it. It seemed slightly strange to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little but I think it was a good ending, was Harry indeed taking care of litte Lupin in the epilogue I was a little confused?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 PM

Wow do yall have any idea how lame you are? Go chase some girls or something. This is the weepiest [censored] I've seen on here.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow do yall have any idea how lame you are? Go chase some girls or something. This is the weepiest [censored] I've seen on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I'm pretty secure with myself and I don't feel the need to justify or defend myself to anybody. Its a good story.

Have you read the books?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:59 PM

http://redtory.blogspot.com/2007/07/...date-rape.html
Old 07-23-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A little but I think it was a good ending, was Harry indeed taking care of litte Lupin in the epilogue I was a little confused?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't seem like it, just that he visited a lot. It would be slightly weird if he had lived with Harry, since 'present day Harry' probably wasn't ready to care for a newborn kid after killing Voldemort.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first couple hundred pages were exciting and the last couple hundred incredible but the middle seemed to drag on and on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The middle part, which I'll assume starts when Harry, Ron, and Hermione escape the wedding and go into hiding on their own, was great in an unexpected way. The feeling of being a fugitive really came out and it was obvious that Harry genuinely didn't know how to accomplish the mission.

When they were stuck in one of several woods, not knowing how to destroy the locket, not knowing where to search for more horcruxes, and then having Ron leave, I thought for a moment "Could Rowling actually have them fail and Voldemort win?". It didn't seem they could complete the mission they were on. That can't be an easy goal for an author since just a couple seconds thought should tell you the good guys are going to win (even if it means Harry dying).

I didn't expect Voldemort to actually win the war- which is what I'm saying he did when Kingsley Shacklebolt's patronus arrived to announce "The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming.". I thought it would be a mostly even battle between good and evil through most of the book. Then when it appears Voldemort is about to win, Harry would save the day. In particular, the Muggle-born Registration Commission and all that's implied with it was a particularly distrubing part of the story.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill start...What did yall think of the epilogue? It was probably the only part of the book i was disappointed with...I mean heck after 750+ pages..She couldnt extend it out another 20 or so to give us a real "where are they now" situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter how long the epilogue was, readers would want it to be longer. For any little bit of new information given, people would easily find a need to ask for more details.

The only important part conveyed by the epilogue is that Harry is living happily ever after (as are Ron, Hermione, and Ginny) and Voldemort has been commpletely vanquished (due to the comment about the scar).

[ QUOTE ]
I mean lets be honest. Harry wasnt going to ever just lead a normal life, but JK made it sound like he was just a plain old person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rowling made a point of showing that Harry was still being recognized decades later.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:38 AM

best death: dobby
best moment: Harry gets [censored] for being shady with the goblin, and loses the sword.
biggest dissapointment: that rowling was really that obvious with the snape plot

the most important thing that was done with this book, was that it really was important to dumbledore's plan that Harry not know enough. it was pretty contrived, but it would have been terrible if I finished the book, and thought it would have all wrapped up better if Dumbledore had just been honest with Harry.

too many books in this series were ruined because people were not being honest when it was clear they should be, so I'd rather have some contrived writing than that mistake having been made with the whole climax.

I really enjoyed the real dumbledore backstory a lot.

at one point, I had started to build up hope that ginny was going to die, and the epilogue that was obviously going to happen would end up with Harry married to Luna. (did anyone else note the odd moment when Harry lists Luna in the people he loves, along with Hermoine, Ron, and Ginny?)

I would have preferred that, if harry doesn't die, that Neville have stolen the spotlight from killing voldemort in the end, somehow. it didn't really work with the whole plot of this final book, however.