Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Looking more professional, a fashion thread

this is something i was guilty of when i first graduated college.

make sure you are comfortable wearing your nicer clothes and also that you are caring for them properly. for some people this is a no-brainer, but things like hanging your clothes up promptly, getting them dry cleaned or laundered when appropriate, keeping them free of pet hair and collar rings, etc are really important. you can buy all the nice clothes you want but if you don't care for them and look comfortable in them it doesn't matter.

obv you are probably a functioning adult so this point is moot but thought i'd throw it out there. on the 'getting comfortable front' i think it's sometimes good to dress really nice for no reason, just if you're going out or even just day-to-day. you build up a positive image of yourself in 'dress clothes' because people will compliment you for looking sharp, and you get more comfortable wearing things like jackets and ties for prolonged periods.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:28 PM

SFer and others:

When you say grey, would the image below qualify? It seems that may be part of the confusion. The image below came up on the first page of GIS for grey suit:

Old 01-29-2007, 09:59 PM

Jared,
there's lots of good advice suite-wise here. I was in the same boat as you, fashion wise, and, over the years i've ended up with a couple of classic suits (one lt brown burberry and one black ungaro) that I picked up cheap at off 5th (saks fifth discount outlet for last year's models). since the suits I got were last year's cuts, they were heavily discounted, but since they were basic, they don't look dated. I also got a navy blazer and a bunch of slacks and nicer khakis.

for basic office wear, check out the banana republic outlet at waikele the next time you're in hawaii. for some reason, they stock the same styles as banana stores/outlets on the mainland, but, since it's honolulu, they have a lot more sweaters and pants (since no one buys them there) on hand. they also have an off fifth there, but i'm not sure if they carry suits. if they do, it'll probably be easy pickings to get something nice for a good price since so few people in hawaii wear them.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:59 PM

Some general comments:

Take the advice on grey, dark grey, dark blue/grey color combinations for formal suits. Very dark blue/almost black is Ok also depending on the pattern.

Color and pattern coordination are key to formal and causal wear. You can even get away with being “underdressed” if your garments are tasteful; you look presentable and project an air of confidence.

Purchase at least two very good dress shirts, it is very bad form to have a first-class suit and then spoil it with a bad choice of shirt in either pattern, color or form. Same thing can be said for the tie. If you go to an upscale shop at least some of the floor people should be knowledgeable and give you solid advice in picking and choosing ties and shirts and general color and pattern coordination.

Choose patterns that fit your general body shape, and colors that complement your eye and hair color and skin tone. Skin tone is important and this is often overlooked by many (especially men) but is very important. Case in point – some people should never wear a green shirt (or tie) or a yellow one. Others can. You need to get some advice on this – I think the gals at makeup counters have skin tone and color charts that can help you. This is especially important if you do not have a natural eye for color and patterns. All the above comments fit for all types of clothing, from casual wear to what you don for that first job interview or your own wedding.

-Zeno
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 PM

I'll leave the suit/dress shirt discussion to everyone else, but I think it's necessary to stress the importance of shoes. Maybe it's just me (but I don't think it is), but you could be wearing a $1500 suit but be wearing crap shoes, and you'll look like crap no matter what. They're not cheap, but it's worth investing in a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you go to an upscale shop at least some of the floor people should be knowledgeable and give you solid advice in picking and choosing ties and shirts and general color and pattern coordination.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Give them the general idea of what you're looking for, and you should get some great options. Even the Nordstroms people usually do good work.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Is facial hair really frowned upon in the corporate world. For instance if I had a neatly trimmed beard is that a big no no?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Good point on the shoes. Also pay attention to your sox. Make sure they match and are the proper color and pattern for the type of clothing you are wearing.

Also have a fashionable tie clasp and cuff links to match if you go that formal at times.

-Zeno
Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is facial hair really frowned upon in the corporate world. For instance if I had a neatly trimmed beard is that a big no no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the company. You would be in the minority in most big companies.

Much better to get the job first and then grow the beard while on vacation [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I suggest you forget about working for the Yankees.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the company. You would be in the minority in most big companies.

Much better to get the job first and then grow the beard while on vacation [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I suggest you forget about working for the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries, I am from Massachusetts. Go Sox! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]