Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Looking more professional, a fashion thread

[ QUOTE ]
Grey is much better than black. Black is for funerals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly everyone was wearing what I would consider a black suit. Maybe it is really a dark grey. But hardly any cadidates wore light grey suits. I've been told that grey (perhaps light grey) is more appropriate on older men.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 PM

when I first decided to upgrade from khakis to nice pants, I started at Banana Republic. it's not fancy or unique, but they have lots of standard wool charcoal/brown/gray pants that look a whole lot nicer than basic khakis, and will serve as good basic pants for a few years.

for shirts I went to Brooks Brothers and Polo.

now, none of these places are super unique, but you'll be able to find reasonably priced basics and decent prices if you wait until sales, etc.

Zara is kind of like the European BR, and if you are in Vegas, NYC, or Montreal you can find one (maybe other places now too?). their stuff is slightly edgier, slimmer fitting, and cooler looking than BR, but still you can find classic stuff that won't look dumb in 4 years.

both of the above stores can fill your need for work clothing and going out to restaurants/bars when you want to move a level up from fleeces and khakis.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly everyone was wearing what I would consider a black suit. Maybe it is really a dark grey. But hardly any cadidates wore light grey suits. I've been told that grey (perhaps light grey) is more appropriate on older men.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dark grey is very standard. Black is totally nonstandard for business attire in the US.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a couple of Jos A Banks Trios (suit plus an extra pair of slacks) that should meet several of your criteria. They usually go on sale for about $250.

Linky --- I'd suggest black or navy to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice link. So is the whole monotone look not good? I rock it a lot and think it looks fairly classy but I am assuming it probably isnt the best for interviews?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 PM

Jurollo,

Monotone is standard is interviews and most business dress office settings. The checkered slacks are perfect for dining out out when you want to wear a jacket, but be dressed less formally than a suit.

Another thing worth noting is that paying extra to buy wrinkle free shirts is worth it if you can do your own laundry. Spray the collar and edges of the sleeve with Spray 'n Wash (or equivalent. Then just throw them in the washer and low heat in the dryer. Hang them up and you will have no wrinkles. You can iron if you have something really important.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So is the whole monotone look not good? I rock it a lot and think it looks fairly classy but I am assuming it probably isnt the best for interviews?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monotone got way overdone on Who Wants to Be Millionaire, when Regis went monotone pretty much every night.

If you're an extremely "manly" looking man (think thick square jaw type) it's probably OK but I think it looks tacky and played out on most people at this point.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Monotone is standard is interviews and most business dress office settings. The checkered slacks are perfect for dining out out when you want to wear a jacket, but be dressed less formally than a suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was talking about matching tie & dress shirt colors (or at least that's what I've always heard referred to as the monotone look)
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM

Daver,

You are absolutely correct about grey vs. black. Having said that, my nicest suit is a sweet black Martin Greenfield that I really enjoy wearing.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was talking about matching tie & dress shirt colors (or at least that's what I've always heard referred to as the monotone look)

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case Mason, you are correct. The link I attached had a standard suit with an extra pair of slacks which was not monotone, so I thought he was asking about the two types of slacks. I was too old for "monotone" when Regis started the fad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, black and dark gray or charcoal gray are pretty much indistinguishable to the average male eye so I wouldn't avoid a black suit if it looks good. If I had to prioritize I would go with:

1) Navy
2) Charcoal gray
3) Dark gray or navy with pinstripes
4) Tan or Olive
5) Black
6) Navy or gray with pinstripes
7) Light colored linen for summer only
Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dark grey is very standard. Black is totally nonstandard for business attire in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I know, this is certainly true for business, but is not the case at all in the legal field FWIW.