Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Nitty Professors

I'm in a geography class where if you don't address the professor "Dear Dr. ..." at the begining of an email, he won't respond. If you use the word "like" or phrase "you know" more than twice in a presentation, you "get a very bad grade."

We've all had em. They usually float around in the liberal arts nonsense majors. Example from past nits:
My paper says "The history of mankind...", but she crosses out mankind and writes "HUMANKIND" in a stern note with a grade reduction.

This is the [censored] I hate about college.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Nitty Professors

[ QUOTE ]
"The history of mankind...", but she crosses out mankind and writes "HUMANKIND" in a stern note with a grade reduction.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really not that ridiculous, imo.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 PM

Welcome to higher education and jag-off professors who think their [censored] don't stink.

Ever try explaining to them that, by you paying tuition, they are in your employ and that they should be altering their teaching style to match your learning style and not the other way around?

That always goes over really big.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever try explaining to them that, by you paying tuition, they are in your employ and that they should be altering their teaching style to match your learning style and not the other way around?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:11 PM

And paper that uses the phrase "the history of mankind" probably deserves a grade reduction, for reasons independent of gender bias.

But yes, some Professors (and TAs!) are really prickly about masculine forms of words. You just have to figure out who they are.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

it means that when a kid turns in a paper titled, "The History of Mankind", and the professor crosses out "mankind", it should be replaced by "poker"
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to higher education and jag-off professors who think their [censored] don't stink.

That always goes over really big.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And paper that uses the phrase "the history of mankind" probably deserves a grade reduction, for reasons independent of gender bias.

But yes, some Professors (and TAs!) are really prickly about masculine forms of words. You just have to figure out who they are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh, I don't recall the exact context in which I used the word (it was freshman year), but the point is she changed it throughout the essay and seemed very pissed about it in the end.

Here's another example:
One professor gets pissed if we call Mount Everest "Mount Everest." He says we need to use the native name of it and every other mountain. Another professor who is not Mexican or at all latino insisted Mexico be pronounced "Mehico" as natives pronounce it. Hell, I've never heard a Mexican say, "Yo voy al United States," before.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:55 PM

I decide to take a class to get some electives out of the way, General Education 200 - Art, extremely easy, very little work, prof just talks about himself the entire time. I decide I can still slack off and since we do not grade with minus or plus's at my school i'm figuring anything above a 90 is gonna be good.

do all my work on time and well. end up with a 94. My grades come out I have a B, i email the professor and he says I have 4 unexcused absences and each absence is 1% of my grade, (he failed to tell us this in the beginning of the course or on the syllabus.) I'm like, fine, ok that leaves me at a 90, why do i not have an A?! he goes on to tell me that because the college has no "official gradeing scale" his grading scale is 92 and up is an A (another thing he failed to mention in the syllabus or to the class)and now i'm stuck with a B

[censored] proud art professors.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM

T_50,

i am not sure what you can do other than suck it up. here its best to swallow your pride, otherwise your grade will hurt A LOT. when done with class, or better, when you get job offer thats better than his tenur, you can go rub it in his face.

and bladesmn, if what your are saying is 100% the truth. you should complain first to him, than to the departament head. maybe see if other kids in your class have the same problem.

personally i hate doing this, did not really like the people that complained about grades and never did it up to this year. however, i just got screwed with my grade yet again last semester and now I am 0.02 points away from cum laude.
i think professors don't like me...not sure why. maybe i overdo things, no idea + both of my majors have so much BS which is part of the grade, that usually the top ass-kissers get the As. maybe not..don't know and it does not matter.

in any case, the reason why i don't look down upon this that much is because your grades, the GPA, is forever. on many levels, it is the fundamental element of your sucess and will have a significant impact on your profesional and future academic career (MBA, LSAT etc). unless of course, your daddy has made it really big.

basically, if you really think that there is room for change and you DESERVE a better grade, you should fight for it. its just a measily [censored] change for a prof and it can make a world of difference for you.

lol...long rant but as you can see i am pissed about my grades [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]