Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Should you ever slow down on the high nuts? Micro stakes limit

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've mainly played various HE games in the past, but sometimes I've gotten into L or PL Omaha/8. Lately I've decided it could easily become my best game, and I should thus make a real effort to move up through the limits. I decided to start off at $.25/$.50.

I have often wondered about the situation of flopping the nut straight because it tends to lose probably 2/3 of the time. I decided to consult this forum next time such a hand came along, and suddenly I was given this gem of an example:

This is my second hand at the table, so I have no player reads whatsoever. 56% see each flop and $4 is the avg pot.

Omaha Hi/Lo Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2006/06/17 - 18:23:41 (ET)
Hero is SB, Villain is MP.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Kd Ah 3d 9d]
3 early positions call, Villain calls, 1 fold, newcomer checks, button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.
Pot: $1.75

*** FLOP *** [Ts Qc Js]
Hero bets, BB calls, 3 folds, Villain raises, 1 fold, Hero reraises, BB calls, Villain caps, Hero calls, BB calls.
Pot: $4.75

*** TURN *** [Ts Qc Js] [9c]
Hero bets, BB calls, Villain raises, Hero reraises, BB calls, Villain calls.
Pot: $9.25

*** RIVER *** [Ts Qc Js 9c] [8s]
Hero checks, BB checks, Villain bets, Hero calls, BB calls.
Pot: $10.75

Let's not focus on the river; I'll explain the rationale behind that call if need be. But should I ever have slowed down? Perhaps not reraised the turn? Any help I could get would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Should you ever slow down on the high nuts? Micro stakes limit

I think you played it fine. you were ahead on every street. you're great odds on the river, so I don't think the call is terrible, but I can't ever see you being ahead at this point.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:29 PM

Yeah, I guess I'm just thinking weak. I was really worried he had flopped the same straight with a flush draw or a set or something, and was freerolling his draw. The fact that a dead caller was in the whole time probably more than made up for that though. And just in case you were wondering, the maniac had 7d Qh As 5s. The mystery caller had 2 pair with a weak club draw. I guess that's where the money comes from.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:19 AM

I play potlimit so I'm not sure how much the rules change... But with someone capping you at every street... unless you know they're a maniac... don't you have to consider you're being freerolled?

If I was new to the table, and I got to your river, I would certainly call if only to see what he was playing (ie.. did he have a freeroll, flush draw only, donkey end of straight, etc.)