Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Timothy Ferriss and the Four Hour Work Week

I liked this book and changed a couple things I was doing based on its recommendations. The presentation is a little slipshod, and the author clearly works more than 4 hours a week, but whatever.

Here are the changes. I've long been a fan of not wasting time on stuff that isn't fun or productive, so most were minor.

1. I spend less time on the internet. This frees up time. The "information diet" is a strong recommendation imo. Probably it's a half hour a day difference. Previously I avoided almost all tv and print media and still do.

2. I am placing greater emphasis on outsourcing with my current widget project. For example, I was going to write the patent app drafts to save money. Now I'm paying a lawyer to do it all.

3. I have further reduced employees' wasting of my time. People like to "meet" to discuss "issues." When the issues are interpersonal, I find people love to talk and hate to be nice to their significant idiot, so cutting this off has freed up some time.

4. It encouraged following my prior goals of working less on forced tasks and more on interesting projects.

5. I have taken extra days off to do fun stuff.

My life has not changed. Nothing in this book was new to me. Much of this correlates with age and is independent of the book, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 PM

people who think this is a novel new idea are kinda dumb. get people to work for you for as little pay as possible.. wow, i'm amazed. tell me when will i see your companies at the top of the fortune 500?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I feel like all this book really does is show how ridiculously inefficient and overpaid we are relative to other countries. We are basically saying "okay company, pay me X amount of money to do something and then I will turn around and have some people in India do it for Y." Now we have middlemen in just having a job, awesome.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Good book, Degen, before he closed his blog, was a fan and had pretty much modeled his activities around it.

It addresses a pretty good fallacy, IMO. The idea that as you add more and more efficiencies that save you more and more time, why would you spend that saved time at work? Yet that's exactly what most people do.

The author makes some ridiculous claims about personal accomplishments that are Aleksey Vayner-ish, and that opens him up to attack. But the ideas are pretty sound IMO.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Everyone,

You guys pride yourself on being logical thinkers, right?

1) Hire personal assistants to make your job easier.
2) Convince your boss to let you stay home from work because you are so much more productive with these personal assistants.
3) Your boss realizes that you are productive because of these personal assistants.
4)

What do you think happens next?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Old 11-17-2007, 06:48 PM

No.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:31 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

You guys pride yourself on being logical thinkers, right?

1) Hire personal assistants to make your job easier.
2) Convince your boss to let you stay home from work because you are so much more productive with these personal assistants.
3) Your boss realizes that you are productive because of these personal assistants.
4)

What do you think happens next?

[/ QUOTE ]

your boss moves to brazil and lays you off

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 AM