Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 04:23 AM

Default HUSNG: Donk leads on Paired Boards

This is a very very common situation and I really should have posted about it sooner. How should I be dealing with these plays?

My thinking is that unless I see a player doing it regularly I will not raise him with air. If I see a player doing it regularly I raise him when I have air and call when I have good made hand, I don't like to chase draws with these even with the button.

So again how should I play these?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t20/t40
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t1265
BB: t1735

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t120</font>, BB calls t80 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t140)</font>.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t240, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t240</font>.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: HUSNG: Donk leads on Paired Boards

pretty insta fold
why are you asking?

if you see his making these moves a lot then you may call flop and see turn cuz you are in position. if he has an air he'd shut up most of the time
Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 AM

As in common, villain usually have IMO King ~60%, 20% trips, Big cards or some pp 10%, and 10% pure bluff with very poor hands.
Also, I encountered villains that even if I'll raise in this spot and he doesn't have trips of 7's or a King, he still calls my 3* raise with crap, that's why I make a raise with total crap like 1 out of 10 times, and the rest is with K+.
Also I see some villains(like 2-3% of all players) re-shove my raise with [censored] like T3o and I fold my King or 88+.
So it's instafold against unknown, but if the pattern repeats or he's been stupidly over-agro, I'll dance with him even with 150bb's. It's variance, but good $$ too.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:53 AM

For your posted situation it's definitely insta-fold. Even if i'm gonna raise with air, i want to have at least 2 overcards to give myself a chance to hit on the turn. You should also be looking at the texture of the paired board. 889 with two of the same suit and villian could very possibly call u down all the way with just an ace, hoping to backdoor the nutflush. However i agree with your play say if were holding a king or a 7. Call down and let villian bluff off his chips to you.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:58 PM

I love to bet these, but usually as a semi-bluff. I am leading these often if oop because these boards get played badly and weak tight by many. I'll float a medium size donk bet as well against a reasonably aggressive. Admittedly I'm not building big pots with air very often here. But any piece, any decent pp, a draw, and I am firing. If they stick around I am shutting down, taking free cards, or blocking. The trips tend to play their hands face up, imho.

This hand is an instafold for me against a psb by unknown. Against an aggro with reads and outs I'll play poker with position (and fire oop). Purediesels numbers match my ranges almost exactly.

Mike
Old 10-27-2007, 02:09 PM

Villain usually won't have a king.

He usually won't have a seven either.

Unfortunately, the stacks make a raise awkward. I don't mind calling and betting the turn when he checks to you.