Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 04:41 AM

Default 2/5 PLO bottom house. Anyone like this line?

No hand history but talked about it last night and it got me thinking.

2/5 PLO 6 max. I'm in the BB (500) with KQ44. Folded to the SB (who just sat in with 500) and he makes it 15. I call. Flop 477. He bets 30 and I quickly min-raise to 60. He goes into the tank and makes it 210. I quickly ship the lot. We like?

What do you think of the min-raise? Does it look like a cheap bluff that would get an AAxx hand to ship?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Re: 2/5 PLO bottom house. Anyone like this line?

The miniraise does not look like a cheap bluff. It looks like 7xxx without ace or king. You will get calls from plenty of 7xxx hands including aa7x. Hope he did not have 7788.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:34 AM

I don't know if it "looks like a cheap bluff", but I definitely do take that line as a bluff sometimes and I could see someone taking it as a semi-bluff as well. Is there a flush draw out here? That would make it a lot more believable that you're not too strong here.

Anyway, I do think that the min-raise is good here as you're still getting enough chips in that you can get all-in with a turn and river bet, and I think it does look a little bit weaker than a pot-sized raise.

After the reraise, if there's a flush draw out here, I'd probably fake going into the tank before pushing just so AAxx can make it a little easier to talk themselves into a call (even though they're almost never folding) and if it's a rainbow board, I'd just call the reraise in position and let the SB do the pushing on the turn.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:58 PM

I quite like the flop shove. If he has a 7, he may be drawing to 9 outs, so you're not that much of a favourite on the flop and are happy if he folds. It'll be very difficult to tell if you're ahead on later streets.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Hate the min raise. I would reraise under a psb though and get it in happily, if the SB wanted to.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:45 AM

this is what I wrote on another forum about this hand, I'd like to hear more opinions.

I've talked to Flipper a little bit about this hand and I still disagree. Here's my summary.

Hardly anybody sits down at the table and stacks off here with AA on this flop on his second hand. Maybe if Flipper had been pushing him around all day, that would be a different matter. Probably you get one more bet half the time on average, no matter whether you call or raise.

If he has a weak hand (that will fold to a raise) it doesn't matter much if you call or raise. If you call he might hit a straight and pay you off another bet, but he also might hit an overfull and you will lose at least one more bet.

If he has 77xx or 74xx you will probably go broke on the flop. If you call maybe you don't always go broke.

So let's talk about if he has a 7. If he has a 7 you want to raise, you want to charge him now while you still have the best hand. If he has a good 7, something like AKJ7, he will probably want to get it in and will 3 bet you whatever you do. If he has a bad 7 like T887 he will probably call any raise but he will not be happy to get it in. So you should raise a large amount, not give him a cheap card.

Of course you have to balance this with your bluffs, because you will also raise here with nothing sometimes. I don't have any way to prove it but I think 90 to 95 is a good amount to make it in this spot if you are bluffing, from his point of view there will be an awkward amount of money left behind and he won't like to call with a marginal hand.

Finally, if you make it 95 and he calls and you get one more almost-pot sized bet out of him on the turn (a likely outcome if he has a bad 7xxx) you take well over half his stack. If you make it 60 and he calls, you are going to need to get value on two streets to win the same amount. Getting value with this hand on the river is difficult, it is often best to check behind.

Apparently a host of excellent players disagree with me (Prof, Flipper, Cooney is only the start) but I'd like to hear more about their reasons.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 AM

i think common concensus is to ship it all in on the flop in this spot, but nitty Rolf suggests just calling down with this type of hand as your opponent has massive implied odds - if you repot the flop, he calls and then check raises the turn when a something like a nine or Ten comes what do you do??
Old 07-29-2007, 11:31 AM

I like the min raise myself because many players have such a problem putting down AAxx or KKxx. We all know that a min raise puts a lot of guys on total tilt. It's really an invitation for him to play back at me more than anything else.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:36 PM

push it
and cry if he hit his 7x