Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 07:37 AM

Default HFAP First 2 Cards, Early Position

Hi, hope I can clarify some doubts here.

Pg 25 of HFAP, 4th Para, "If no one has opened and you are in an early position, it is usually best to raise with JJ in a tight game and to just call with it in a loose game."

I understand the rationale that you raise with JJ in early position, in a tight game to cause those with cards like KJ+ to fold, so you minimise the chance of making a tough choice with many players if the flop comes Ace high or K high.

How about calling with JJ in a loose game? How issit suppose to work? I would still raise, with intention to fold those weak hands, and add value to those who cold call me with crap.

Am I missing something on the interpretation of HFAP on this?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: HFAP First 2 Cards, Early Position

Seems like they're describing a typical 4/8 B&M game where a raise UTG will make for a 5 handed pot while limping will make for a 9-10 handed pot.

I still raise w/ JJ and TT utg in this spot since these hands have a pot equity edge against my opponents' cold calling range. I limp w/ 99 - 22 for the reasons described on the page you referenced.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: HFAP First 2 Cards, Early Position

I think it is the principal. What I'm getting is, if no one has opened, meaning there are 1 or 2 limpers, in a tight game you should raise to isolate the limpers and play hands like JJ vs one or two opponnents. In a loose game, if there are 1 or 2 limpers, you should also limp to try and keep the hand as multiway as you can.

I don't think that applies to todays online game. FWIW, I raise JJ in any position and with the right information, I will 3 bet and sometimes cap.

I think what you need to get out of said paragraph is the concept of playing certain hands vs many players or vs fewer players. I'm not sure why they chose to limit it to just JJ. I think big offsuited Aces and medium pairs could fit that mold too.